Sororities host spring recruitment activities

Brent Uberty
Students mingle with active members during Chi Omega’s Cookies and Cocoa yesterday evening at the chapter house. Photo by Brent Uberty.

Five sororities from the U have begun their informal recruitment for Spring Semester.
Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Phi, Chi Omega, Pi Beta Phi and Kappa Kappa Gamma have all started their recruiting events for this semester, and representatives from the sororities are excited to meet potential members. All but one sorority has already held an event, and each plans on holding one more within the next two weeks.
Students interested in joining a sorority should contact their group’s recruitment chair in order to RSVP for events.

Alpha Chi Omega

Alpha Chi Omega, which has had a chapter at the U since 1934, will be holding a laser tag night this Friday at 6 p.m. The event will be located at their house on Greek Row, which lies just north of the U. Those interested in joining Alpha Chi Omega must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours and must commit to 10 service hours each semester.

Alpha Phi

Alpha Phi will hold an event tonight at 7:30 p.m. at their house. The event is titled “Meet the Phis” and will feature an ice cream bar and opportunities to meet current sisters in the house. Alpha Phi’s selection process is mutual, meaning that many sisters from the house decide who will join the sorority. Recruitment chair Alli Uchida said what they want from their members is not too specific.
“We want girls who are involved and have great leadership qualities,” Uchida said.
Alpha Phi requires its members to maintain a 2.5 GPA and to enroll in 12 credit hours. Incoming freshmen must have a 3.0 GPA.

Chi Omega

Chi Omega’s next event is also tonight and will feature a Zumba activity at the group’s house. Chi Omega requires members to maintain a 2.0 GPA and participate in two service activities per semester.

Pi Beta Phi

Pi Beta Phi’s first event is tonight and will be focused around a spa night theme at their house. Their second event will be a carnival on Tuesday, Jan. 21 at the Pi Beta Phi house.

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Kappa Kappa Gamma will host a dessert night on Thursday, Jan. 23, which will be located at their house on Greek Row. Attendees of the event should prepare to dress formally.

According to recruitment chair Jessica Doucette, Kappa Kappa Gamma is looking for “genuine girls who are interested in sisterhood and the organization.”
Kappa Kappa Gamma requires its members to be enrolled in 12 credit hours and to maintain a 2.5 GPA. Incoming freshmen must have a 3.0 GPA.

More recruitment information can be found at greeks.utah.edu