UPC hosts Valentine’s Day craft party

Brent Uberty
Students make Valentines Day crafts at UPC’s craft night in the Union Pano Room Monday afternoon. Photo by Brent Uberty.

The Union Parlor was filled with chocolate fountains, glitter and sugar cookies as students handmade valentines for their sweethearts on Monday.
The event, called the “love edition,” was the second in the Union Programming Council “A Handmade Holiday” series of campus crafting parties.
Nikhi Jamili and Derek Deitsch organized the seven-hour event, which raised money for the Union Student Leader Scholarship Fund. Using the proceeds, the Union will offer two scholarships for $2,000 each this year.
The UPC crafting series began near the end of last semester before the winter holiday season. Deitsch, a senior in marketing and the director of innovation for UPC, said the first event was a success.
“We decided we wanted to do it again this semester and it would be perfect for us to do a love edition for Valentine’s Day,” Deitsch said.
Jamili, a junior in communication and the director of development for UPC, said the first event in December raised around $150. The Valentine’s Day-themed crafting event on Monday aimed to raise more money. To do so, Jamili said they marketed to different parts of the campus.
Jamili said the event raised about $250.
Admittance to the card-making activity was at a rate of $5 for six tickets, aimed at getting groups to go to the Union together. Additional tickets were sold for $1 apiece.
“It’s really fun to do, and people love coming to it,” Jamili said.
The room was filled with pink and red-colored papers, and students from a variety of campus scenes came to craft together. Deitsch said the event was planned for earlier in the day to cater to students.
Madison Black, a junior in bioengineering, said the event was reminiscent of elementary school.
“I’m excited to just sort of relax because school can be stressful, and it’s so fun to do something Valentine-y to take a break,” Black said.
Projects on Pinterest inspired the valentines.
“These are craft ideas that everyone wants to make, but may not ever take time to do,” Deitsch said.