Taylor Swift Continues to Dominate the Mainstream Music Scene

Eva Rinaldi

Written by Peyton Dalley

Don’t act like in 2006 you didn’t casually pretend you hated “country” music, because we all know most adolescents adored blond, curly-headed Taylor Swift.

When people asked if you liked country, you said yes because T-Swift was country back in ’06. Boys of all ages called her “hot,” because let’s be real, who couldn’t resist a curly-haired blond? There was your first reason for Taylor Swift right there: She was the “it” girl.

Aside from that “High School Musical” fad you were also currently attending to, Taylor Swift was America’s sweetheart with an affordable clothing line at Walmart. You owned every piece. You probably learned to play the guitar because she played the guitar.

The album “Fearless” had just debuted, and “Love Story” was your junior high theme song — it played at every dance you had. Blond locks were still in and those three chords you knew on the guitar were enough to impress your “boyfriend,” who you only saw at school during the week.

It was when you finally experienced your first breakup l that you really had a reason for Taylor. Those lyrics really had an impact on you as you looked out into the distance recalling all those memories you in fact didn’t have with your now-ex.

“Speak Now” was when everyone in the world knew about Taylor Swift. She was kind-of-country-but-kind of-not, but you still said you liked country, just in case.

Every song from that album played on the radio station in your home town, and you and all your girlfriends blasted it because high school was a rough time for everyone.

Once “Red” finally came out, you actually had a real reason to cry to it. Boys broke your heart, and that funny goat video to “I Knew You Were Trouble” often cured the sadness. You’d now seen Tay-Tay live and no longer want your long locks because the short and sassy look was in. Country was out of the question. Oh, now Tay was a Victoria’s Secret model too. Now you really wanted to be her.

Now it’s 2016 and Taylor Swift may or may not be the richest, most stylish it-girl ever, you know you are breaking your bank to see her 1989 tour, and even though “Shake it Off” plays on the radio three times every hour, you still downloaded it.

She is now the only thing you listen to when you have a bad breakup. Now you find yourself screaming to “Bad Blood” in your car on your way to the gym, all while keeping it a secret because that’s embarrassing.

Are we out of the woods yet?

Love or hate her, you still had a reason for her. Even now, in the secret depths of your car, you sing “Style” under your breath and may or may not have the 2014 Victoria’s Secret fashion show recorded simply because of her amazing outfit.