Environmentalism Meets Spirituality in Summer Class

The grasslands and wetlands between the Centennial and Gravelly mountain ranges is one of the primary migration corridors for wildlife living in Yellowstone National Park. A course recently developed by the U’s Department of Religious Studies places students in this valley in the Big Sky region to explore spirituality and its relationship to nature.

Eco-Spirituality is a three credit, five day long class offered every summer semester in Centennial Valley, Montana. The course isn’t limited to students in Religious Studies, but students of that major are eligible for a scholarship toward the class.

FullSizeRender-3The course delves into the world of Henry James Thoreau in his book “Walden,” as well as other texts. Far from religious, Eco-Spirituality teaches about finding a deeper connection to our environment and, as a result, developing a greater desire to take care of it.

“Deep listening – to the birds, the wind, the grazing cattle in the distance, to the silence and to each other – this is what happens in Eco-Spirituality,” said Maeera Shreiber, director of Religious Studies.”Simply put, it is one of the most profound learning experiences to be had at the U.”

Students in the class stay in cabins at the Taft-Nicholson Center, a property owned by the U. Accommodations include healthy home-cooked meals and wi-fi.

Annie Keller, a student in Environmental and Sustainability Studies and participant in last semester’s class said, “It’s hard to learn about consuming the earth when you’re just sitting in a classroom, but when you are actually sitting in the middle of this incredible, natural environment, you realize how important it is to protect and take care of the earth.”

IMG_8957Students taking the course spend time hiking, canoeing and volunteering at the Centennial Valley Nature Conservancy. The class then gathers to discuss their experiences and how a spiritual connection to nature can guide an individual to environmentalism.

“It was a cool opportunity to discuss ideas that you normally don’t have time to think about in your day-to-day life,” said Anna Albertsen, a student in Biology. “It gave me the space to create a deeper sense of self.”