Utes Welcome Washington and Washington State for Next Pac-12 Series

Steve C. Wilson
Tatum Thornton, University of Utah Soccer vs. Minnesota August 17, 2018 in Salt Lake City, UT. (Photo University of Utah / Steve C. Wilson)

Game number four of Pac-12 play for the University of Utah soccer team is bringing the game back to Salt Lake City for the first time in three weeks. The Utes will face the University of Washington as well as Washington State University this coming weekend.

The Utes are currently 1-2 in conference play, and they hold a 4-6-1 overall record.

In their most recent game against Arizona State, the Utes earned their first Pac-12 win since the 2016 season. This 2-0 win was a team win, and was a good stepping stone for the Utes moving forward.

Senior Paola Van der Veen scored the first goal for the Utes just before halftime off of a pass from Hailey Stodden. This was her fifth goal of the season, and she is currently leading the Utes in goals scored.

The second goal of the game came from sophomore Jessica Hixson at the beginning of the second half of play. Ireland Dunn won the ball on the sideline and set Hixson up for her first goal of the season. In the goal, Carly Nelson had a season high of nine saves, making this game her third shutout of the season. The Utes battled hard against the Sun Devils and were able to come out victorious.

First up this week, Utah will welcome Washington. This will be their first home conference game of the season. Overall against Washington, Utah is 5-6, and the Utes are 3-2 against the Huskies at home.  

In their last meeting in Salt Lake City in 2016, Utah came away with the 1-0 victory. However, last year they were shutout 2-0.

Later in this week, Utah will host Washington State. In their history, Utah is 7-6-1 against the Cougars, with a 3-2 lead at home. Last season, Utah saw a 2-0 loss to Washington State.

The last time the Cougars were at Ute Field during the 2016 season, Utah walked away with the 1-0 victory.

Utah has seen successes against both of these teams, and they are looking to continue with their winning momentum as this week progresses.

Utah will face Washington on Thursday, Oct. 4 at 7 p.m., and Washington State on Sunday, Oct. 7 at 12 p.m. Both games will be played in Salt Lake City at Ute Field.

@CaseyOverfield