‘Sko Utes: Homecoming Week Is the Time to Show Your School Spirit

The Sigma Chi house decorated for homecoming week, Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2015. Tara Lincoln, Daily Utah Chronicle.

By Hannah Keating, Arts Editor

Homecoming is one of the biggest college cultural events across the nation —  one week where the football team, spirit squad, massive student section and passionate alumni gather not only in support of the fight against the opposition but to rally pride and give support to the one thing we all have in common — our school. Homecoming Week culminates in a head-to-head with Washington State, but there are so many ways to share in the joy on campus here at the University of Utah.

Service

The week kicks off with Legacy of Lowell Service Day, lead by campus’ own Bennion Center as a tribute to founder Lowell Bennion and his work. U supporters and community participants contribute to the largest Saturday service project. The five themes for more than 35 activities range from Education and Advocacy to Intercultural Engagement and Social Justice to Health and Ability. On campus, alumni and students can participate in the Bags for Beds service, a project created by a Utah alumna Kaitlin McLean that turns wasteful plastic bags into woven sleeping mats which are then donated to aid those affected by homelessness. Other on-campus projects include serving the Union’s FeedU Pantry, working in our Edible Campus Garden, supporting Food Recovery Services in the Peterson Heritage Center and joining student volunteers in their support of organizations such as Primary Children’s Hospital, Friends For Sight and Days for Girls. 

Scholarship

Kicking the week off for Utah alumni, the Scholarship Scramble on the Bonneville Golf Course is a way for older grads to connect with friends, faculty and campus partners while supporting the endeavors of current students through the Alumni Association’s student scholarship fund. The first event of the week for current students is the Student Scavenger Hunt, which takes off from the library plaza where the alumni board dishes out a clue every hour on the hour. Students scour campus on an epic search that culminates in awards of prizes and scholarships. Everyone comes together on Saturday morning before the big game for the campus tradition of the U5K and Kids 1K. With over 1,000 runners in attendance last year, this massive events kicks off from the Alumni House and winds itself through the gorgeous paths on campus. A portion of proceeds are given back to the students from the support of campus partners, and if nothing else, runners get up close and personal with Utah mascot Swoop the Eagle before his appearance at Rice-Eccles. 

Spirit

Outside of the game weekend’s tailgating and game-prepping, school spirit radiates through the entire week because of the students. Greek row takes homecoming very seriously, pulling out all the stops with events on every day of the week to celebrate homecoming. Perhaps the biggest spirit event is Songfest, a tradition celebrating its 100th year on campus where the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council chapters compete in a series of song and dance battles. The Union will be shaking with the shouts of original chants, beats of well-known songs and the power of members from every chapter performing their own dances. Songfest then launches into a pep rally, complete with the spirit squad and marching band, bringing the energy to new heights and hyping up the body of the student section for the big game on Saturday.

In the vein of spirit for homecoming weekend, Greek houses host the Parent and Family Weekend, where the campus is flooded with supportive parents of Utah students who’ve come to join in on the campus fun. With a reception on Friday night and events throughout all of Homecoming Week, Utah friends, family and fans are sure to be buzzing with excitement. 

Homecoming is geared towards the big game against Washington State, but the campus will be electric with spirit throughout the entire week. There’s a way for every fan, big or small, to be involved and entertained before heading to Rice-Eccles to partake in-game day. Homecoming is all about reuniting. The purpose and passion of every student and fan that comes to campus and the festivities this week are sure to get everyone excited. Most of all, homecoming week is a call to Utes far and wide to come to support their college. It’s a celebration of tradition, excellence and pride. 

Can we get a “sko Utes”?

@iamjustkeating