Utah Soccer Grab One Win, One Loss on Final Road Trip of 2019

University of Utah Utes Women’s soccer team defender Aleea Gwerder (9) gives a long-pass during an NCAA soccer match vs. the Stanford Cardinal women’s soccer team at the Ute Soccer Field in Salt Lake City, Utah on Sunday, Oct. 27, 2019 (Photo by Abu Asib | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Ethan Pearce, Sports Editor

The University of Utah soccer team is winding down their season. With only one game remaining on the schedule, the Utes are finishing an up-and-down campaign, with their record sitting at 7-8-4 and 2-5-3 in the Pac-12.

This past weekend, they visited both Washington schools and split the games with one win and one loss. They lost against Washington State on Thursday night by a score of 4-1. Senior Ireland Dunn was the only Ute to score. For the Cougars, senior Morgan Weaver scored two goals and assisted on a third to junior Elyse Bennett. Freshman Grayson Lynch scored the other goal for Washington State.

The Utes were outmatched from the beginning against a strong Washington State team. They competed for a while until the Cougars scored in the 61st and 65th minutes, taking a 4-1 lead and never looking back. 

Utah felt the tough loss and rebounded on Sunday against No. 21 Washington, winning 1-0 against a team near the top of the Pac-12. Dunn continued her hot streak and was the only player on either team to score a goal in Seattle on Sunday afternoon. Dunn scored in the 30th minute and that was it. Junior Alexis Rushlow was given a yellow card and ejected in the 76th minute.

This gave the Utes their second Pac-12 victory on the year, and also gives them something to build upon heading into senior night and the last game of the season against Colorado on Thursday. 

The Utes will host the Buffaloes on Nov. 7 at 7:00 p.m. The game will be the last time to see many seniors take the field for Utah. The Buffaloes are 11-6-2 and 3-5-2 in the Pac-12. This will be their third straight game away from home. They are coming off a loss to Washington State in the same way the Utes did, 4-1. It will be a tough matchup for the Utes, but with a big win over Washington under their belts, they will surely be ready and motivated to close this one out the right way for the seniors.

Utah will finish near the bottom of the Pac-12, pending the results of Thursday’s game. It’s been a season of ups and downs with never too many wins or losses in a row. They will try to get one last win Thursday night vs Colorado to push their overall record to have as many wins as they do losses, at 8-8-4.

@e_pearce_