No. 4 Red Rocks Set for Best of Utah Meet

The University of Utah Red Rocks thank the fans following a dual meet vs. The University of Kentucky at the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah on Friday, Jan. 3, 2020. (Photo by Kiffer Creveling | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Sammy Mora, Sports Editor

The No. 4 University of Utah Red Rocks gymnastics team will make the short journey to the Maverik Center in West Valley City this week for the inaugural Rio Tinto Best of Utah meet. This meet will feature talent from four of the Division I teams in the state on a podium event. The event will take place on Saturday, Jan. 11 at 7 p.m.

This is the second time that all four teams in the state will gather for a quad meet. The last time was in 1993 at the Smith’s Challenge Cup, where the Red Rocks came out on top, Utah State took second, BYU third and SUU finished in fourth.

Scouting No. 4 Utah 

Record: 1-0 overall, 0-0 Pac-12 

Last meet score: 196.425-195.350 win over Kentucky. 

Kim Tessen led the Red Rocks to victory over Kentucky last week. Tessen put on a show for home fans, claiming the event titles on the three events she competed in. She scored a 9.90 on the vault, 9.925 on the bars and 9.90 on the floor. 

The Red Rocks will begin the meet on the vault. 

Scouting BYU

Record: 1-0 overall, 0-0 MRGC

Last meet score: 195.750–195.600 win over Nebraska.  

In their opening meet, BYU took down Nebraska and put up what was the 7th best opening week score. Junior Abbey Miner won the all-around category with a score of 39.325. Following close behind was junior Abby Boden Stainton who took second in the same category with a score of 39.175.

BYU will begin the meet on bars. 

Scouting SUU

Record: 0-1 overall, 0-0 MRGC

Last meet score: 195.275-196.375 loss to Nebraska

In their opening meet on Thursday, the Thunderbirds lost to Nebraska. Karley McClain did win the all-around title in the loss with a score of 39.250. SUU will have three days to recover and regroup before heading to the Maverik Center on Saturday.

SUU will begin the meet on beam. 

Scouting Utah State 

Record: 0-0, 0-0 MRGC

Last meet score: N/A

This week will mark the first meet of the season for the Aggies. While they did not qualify for nationals as a team, the Aggies sent three athletes to participate in the Corvallis regional. None made it past the regional, but the Aggies still had a solid showing at the meet. 

Utah State will begin the meet on the floor. 

How to Watch

There will be no live stream for this week’s meet, but the meet will broadcast over the air of ESPN 700. Mike Lageschulte and Kyndal Pond will be on the call for the meet.

@s_mora99