%28Chronicle+archives%29

(Chronicle archives)

Four Tickets Announce Run for ASUU Presidential Election

With the Spring semester underway and the ASUU presidential elections approaching, candidates have already begun their campaigns. This year, there are four tickets competing for leadership over the student body. These are the O’Leary Ticket, the Valdez | Kaur | Walia Ticket, the Karabegovic Ticket and the Hair Ticket.

According to Jacob Jones, the ASUU Elections Registrar, these campaigns are made up of members of the student body, and previous involvement in ASUU leadership is not required.

Jones stressed the importance of voting in these four-way elections because ASUU is a student-led, on-campus organization that works directly with University Administration for the student experience.

“To that effect, the decisions and policies set forth by elected ASUU officials have a significant and relevant impact on student life here at the U,” Jones said. “Voting in ASUU Elections empowers students to directly advocate for the candidates that will address issues and policies most important to them. In doing so, voting allows students to shape campus experience, both within their individual college and at the university level.”

Several factors make the 2023 ASUU election different from previous elections at the U. For one, the elected administration will have to navigate the changes that will come with the return to a primarily offline campus. Jones mentioned the effort it took from him and his team to increase the number of tickets and candidates for this year’s election. 

The ASUU presidential debate will be hosted by the Daily Utah Chronicle and will be held on Feb. 6 from 5 to 6 p.m. in the Hinckley Caucus Room. 

Additionally, there will be an Attorney General Town Hall on Feb. 7 from 5 to 6 p.m. in the Union Saltair Room and a Student Immersion and Outreach Panel on Feb. 9 from 5 to 6 p.m. where candidates will answer live questions from students, Jones said.

On Feb. 16, there will be a meet and greet with the executive branch candidates from 2 to 3 p.m. in the Union.

These events aim to increase the accessibility and involvement of ASUU officers, with a particular emphasis on both student resources and nontraditional students,” Jones said 

The primary campaign begins on Jan. 30, allowing ASUU candidates to talk begin talking about why they should lead the student body. These candidates then have seven days to campaign before voting begins on Feb. 6 at 7 a.m.

Primary Voting end at 12 p.m. on Feb. 9, and the election results will be posted soon after on Feb. 10. Students will be able to find this information on the ASUU Elections website, and it will also be announced by University Media by 5 p.m. that night. 

The primary election will determine the three top tickets, allowing them to go onto the general election.

On Feb. 21, General Election Voting will open at 7 a.m. and end at 12 p.m. on Feb. 24.  The ticket winner of this election will fill the position of President, Vice President of Student Relations, and Vice President of University Relations. The date by which the final election results will be announced has not yet been determined but will be announced soon.

You can find more information on the ASUU website.

See the individual tickets in more detail below.

@steviechrony

@AllisonChrony

ASUU Elections: The O’Leary Ticket
ASUU Elections: The Hair Ticket
ASUU Elections: The Karabegovic Ticket
ASUU Elections: The Valdez | Kaur | Walia Ticket