Petters: The Importance of Prison Education

Justin Prather

The front gate of the Utah State Prison in Draper, Utah on Sept. 19, 2018. (Photo by Justin Prather | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Keegan Petters, Opinion Writer, Copy Editor

Proposed by Rep. Melissa Ballard, H.B. 203 is a vital step in the fight against Utah’s issue of recidivism. The legislation would provide postsecondary education for inmates in county jails, assign success advisors to correctional facilities, remove the requirement for prisoners to pay 50% of their tuition and mandate higher education to consider an inmate a state resident for tuition purposes.

With abundant research supporting the correlation between prison education and decreased recidivism, H.B. 203 is a progressive bill helping our continual reform of the prison system. We can’t expect inmates to not repeat their crimes unless we break the cycle of mass incarceration, and that starts with education.

Issues of Mass Incarceration in Utah

Utah is no exception to the nationwide epidemic of recidivism with around a 50% recidivism rate. Copious reasonings can be explained for the appalling rate and influence the cycle of constant convictions: lack of funds or financial support, unstable environments and community when leaving prison and lack of a formal education. If we refuse to acknowledge the existence of these issues, we cannot expect incarcerated individuals returning to society to change their current behavior. All forms of support are crucially needed to end recidivism in Utah, and it is embarrassing that Utah as a state hasn’t solved this matter.

While many western nations are struggling to resolve the ongoing incarceration complications, Norway is comparatively succeeding. Deconstructing the centralized prison system in the United States, Norway has integrated correctional facilities into the community as a form of rehabilitation. The reintegration process allows prisoners to maintain basic human necessities such as visitor contact and support once they are put back into society. And in terms of education, which has been argued as a vital point for preventing crime, Norway has helped prisoners transition for future employment with their educational system. Norway has garnered an acclaimed incarceration system that other nations, specifically the U.S., must start to incorporate.

Slow But Needed Solutions

Highlighting the educational aspect, it is empirically evident that recidivism decreases when prisoners can access education. Utah’s current integration system is shameful. And while I applaud the reformative legislation, we need more change. Utah has tried to end the increasing incarceration rates before: H.B. 348 passed in 2015 and removed nonviolent offenders from Utah prisons in an effort to help reduce the recidivism rate. By removing nonviolent offenders, the remaining budget was spent on recidivism programs. But this has unfortunately not helped the current rate in Utah.

However, the new legislation created for the 2023 session could start the gradual reform Utah desperately needs. Opening opportunities for prisoners to gain education will have a significant impact on individuals truly striving for a better future. Inmates do not want to continue their cycle in the mass prison system in Utah, but they can’t change without investments in their future, such as those given in H.B. 203.

Dominic Pecoraro is an associate faculty in the Honor’s College and the Department of Communication at the University of Utah, which has a prison education program. His own course is historically offered in the prison education program. When asked about H.B. 203, Pecoraro said, “I believe for people that are reorienting themselves into life outside of prison, it’s going to give them another pathway for self-discovery.” Pecoraro supports H.B. 203.

I praise the efforts given by public education institutions such as the U to better assist prisoners gaining knowledge. The support is there and we want change for the ongoing and complex prison issues in Utah. With H.B. 203, the push for a core solution in recidivism is evident.

While Utah has much more to act on in the continual prison reform process, H.B. 203 can produce a positive impact in Utah. The bill could end stereotypes given to prisoners and integrate them back into society. Ex-prisoners deserve to be represented and given a chance to advance from their previous actions. Change can happen, and we can decrease the recidivism cycle within Utah Prisons with H.B. 203.

For more resources on education for prisoners within the University of Utah, click here.

@KeeganPettersOp