The Ever Expanding and Always Inclusive Salt Lake Punk Scene

If you are a punk, a creative student or simply a connoisseur of handmade crafts, make your way down to the SLC Punk Rock Flea Market.
Xiangyao Tang
The SLC Punk Rock Flea Market at the Lost Acorn Gallery in Salt Lake City on July 30, 2023. (Photo by Xiangyao “Axe” Tang | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

The SLC Punk Rock Flea Market, hosted by the newly established Lost Acorn Gallery, has been happening for several years now. I’ve been hearing about the event through the grapevine of Utah’s surprisingly interconnected queer and countercultural communities, especially through folks in the punk community. I’ve gotten word both through online mutuals and folks met in person. I’ve always meant to attend the DIY and handmade craft gathering to chat with some local SLC artists and makers, and finally made it on July 30, a rescheduled date due to the brain-melting heatwave. I’m happy to say that it was well worth the visit.

Nestled on a blocked off street near the Lost Acorn Gallery, high up in the avenues, were rows of booths under awnings and tree shade. Amongst the handmade wares were drawings, paintings, jewelry, printed shirts, art prints and more. The event was personable, and every vendor and artist was approachable and friendly. Each with a story to tell.

Sincerity and Creativity

Out of the handful of folks I spoke with, the first was an artist named Bee. Sporting tattoos, jean cutoffs and a tasseled cheetah print top, she was approachable and welcoming from the moment I arrived.

Laid out on her table was a variety of ACAB stickers of her own design as well as some stunning illustrations, a standout being a drawing of two cyberpunk people. Bee explained that her drawings and paintings are almost a reflection of herself. Growing up religious in Utah, she would draw a lot in church and it just grew from there.

“I tend to draw my future self a lot,” Bee said, adding that she incorporates queerness and abolitionism in her work in many ways. Visit her Instagram to adorn your walls with some of her stuff or order a commission!

Cameron Lara talks to a customer at the SLC Punk Rock Flea Market at the Lost Acorn Gallery in Salt Lake City on July 30, 2023. (Photo by Xiangyao "Axe" Tang | The Daily Utah Chronicle)
Cameron Lara talks to a customer at the SLC Punk Rock Flea Market at the Lost Acorn Gallery in Salt Lake City on July 30, 2023. (Photo by Xiangyao “Axe” Tang | The Daily Utah Chronicle) (Xiangyao Tang)

Sharing a booth area with Bee was a colorful display full of acrylic mirrors in the shape of clouds, hearts, raindrops and more, all created by an artist named Lya. With a degree in painting and drawing, Lya strives to find an outlet outside of the academic and often inaccessible and elitist art world.

After doing a series of photo shoots with headpieces they made out of reflective mirrors, their business was born. Visit their shop on Instagram @ohlyaa to support them and their artistry directly.

For puppy parents looking for dog treats, look no further than Rebel Pug Pastries. After working at a doggy daycare, owner Monica realized the need for high-quality dog treats free from fillers and unhealthy ingredients. So, taking some of their experience from working at a patisserie and chocolate shop, they applied their skills to create their locally-made treats and sell them here in the city and online. If you or anyone you know are interested you can check them out on Instagram @rebelpugpastries or on their Etsy shop for some fun and quality made dog treats.

For fans of handmade friendship bracelets, printed shirts, printed jackets and digitally restored vintage prints in ornate gold frames, you should check out Steadfast Rebels, a small business owned by husband and wife Kristi and Derek.

Kristi Sahagun and Derek Sahagun in their booth at the SLC Punk Rock Flea Market at the Lost Acorn Gallery in Salt Lake City on July 30, 2023. (Photo by Xiangyao "Axe" Tang | The Daily Utah Chronicle)
Kristi Sahagun and Derek Sahagun in their booth at the SLC Punk Rock Flea Market at the Lost Acorn Gallery in Salt Lake City on July 30, 2023. (Photo by Xiangyao “Axe” Tang | The Daily Utah Chronicle) (Xiangyao Tang)

Having been making things their whole life and having backgrounds in art, art directing, graphic design and production, their Instagram tagline appropriately says they’re “just a couple of grown-up kids making their dreams come true.” They also have a podcast about creativity and art, available on YouTube and Spotify. Check out their work on their Instagram for the perfect mesh of punk, nerdiness and style.

It’s Punk to Support Local Art

If you are a punk, a creative student or simply a connoisseur of handmade crafts, make your way down to the SLC Punk Rock Flea Market! Supporting local artists is a great way to connect with others and even make some friends while you’re at it. Every single person I spoke to was incredibly welcoming and kind. It’s apparent that the community here is very strong and inclusive of everyone. When you put your money back into your community, you only make it stronger while supporting working-class artistry.

@arlo_marler