Hinckley Institute Offers Students Unique Internship Opportunities

Students searching for out-of-the-ordinary internships can find opportunities at the Hinckley Institute of Politics.

Every year, the Hinckley places approximately 350 undergraduate and graduate students in a variety of local and national internships. Students from all disciplines are welcome, and there are programs for almost every career path.

Sloan_Russell_1ad2a086348c9.jpg

A new program this year is with the mayor’s office in Nice, France, where students can research imports and exports in the area and meet influential government figures. For students interested in human rights, the Global Health Initiative in Shanagar, India gives real-world experience on handling issues of domestic violence and human rights violations. There are also English teaching programs in Thailand, an internship with a Brazilian airline company and a number of parliamentary internships.

Hinckley student ambassador, Keri Lyn Michalke, a senior in political science and international studies, has done an internship in Washington D.C. with the House Committee of Veteran Affairs. She’s also worked with the U.S. Embassy in Moscow, Russia, and plans to do more internships before graduation.

IMG_7030.jpg

Michalke recommends completing more than one internship to gain a wider experience and grow individually.

“With my first [internship] I felt like I was learning how to be a good intern first and foremost,” Michalke said. “But with the second … the dynamic was very different because I had already done an internship. As you progress it takes on a different form.”

To prepare students, the Institute offers a forum series course that fine-tunes writing and public speaking skills. Anna Solomon Edelman, program coordinator of the Hinckley internships, said the skills they learn in the classroom can be applied in a real-world setting. In addition, students can discover the path they want to pursue. Not all internships will be a positive experience, however, and the Hinckley Institute will work with students to find something more to suited to their interests.

Solomon Edelman said, “It’s just a way to explore a certain field and find out if it’s really interesting to you or not.”

@sarahnlegg