U.S. Needs to Let Others Lead the Fight Against ISIS

In the wake of the terrible tragedy in France, it has become apparent that ISIS is a global threat that needs a global response. The current approach has not produced the sort of results needed to defeat or significantly degrade ISIS. ISIS still controls large swathes of Iraq and Syria, despite receiving over 4,500 airstrikes from the United States-lead world coalition. This is because there is a lack of competent ground forces that are able to take advantage of the damage that the coalition is doing.

Although there are some competent ground forces, such as Kurdish forces, many forces fighting ISIS don’t have the requisite military experience or expertise. Members of Congress will undoubtedly call on the U.S. to deploy ground troops in an effort to rectify that situation. The U.S. must not make the mistake of leading the invasion of a foreign country. Instead it should let countries that are Muslim, are capable of handing over power to the appropriate party and have a stake in the fight take the lead.

Past examples have shown that the U.S. is not very good at making a stable democratic government. Iraq provides a perfect example of this. The operation has lasted seven years and created a government rife with corruption which serves its own interests instead of those of the people. The power gap created by the invasion of Iraq and subsequent destruction of its ability to fight by coalition forces allowed ISIS to gain control of territory in Iraq. If the U.S. had not invaded there is the possibility that the Iraq army would have been capable of fending off the ISIS advances in that region.

Although a second invasion of the region would probably experience some initial success, the question of who to hand power to once the mission was accomplished would have to be faced. Would we give it to those that are perceived as moderate? How would we make it legitimate in the eyes of those that we forced it upon? In a situation that involves so many warring parties it is unlikely that we will be able to come up with a solution that appeases everybody.

An invasion spearheaded by the U.S. would also play in to the narrative that ISIS is trying to construct. ISIS has used the claim that U.S. is waging war against Islam to recruit followerse. By engaging in an invasion, the U.S. would be creating a situation ISIS could construct as a modern day crusade. Instead of leading, the U.S. should hold back and let Muslim countries take the lead, so that an offensive directly conflicts with the narrative that ISIS is trying to paint. It would send the message that even their fellow Muslims are united against their acts.

In a situation that is extremely complex, the U.S must make a careful calculated decision about how to dismantle ISIS. Whatever the approach is must not follow the narrative that ISIS has constructed. It must also incorporate a variety of countries with a variety of faiths, including Muslim countries. Although the fight will be long, if the U.S. has a comprehensive strategy, it will be able to successfully bring respite to a war-torn region.