Obama’s Executive Action on Gun Control an Effort to Curtail Partisan Deadlock

Obamas Executive Action on Gun Control an Effort to Curtail Partisan Deadlock

A democratic society knows it’s in trouble when it’s incapable of engaging in rational debate on a particular subject, which is exactly what is happening today with gun safety legislation. Some political figures, mainly Republicans, have been taught by the NRA to have an aversion to any legislation that even remotely impacts their right to bear arms, while some Democrats maintain that guns have no place in modern-day society.

The polarization has gotten so bad that Republican presidential candidates were denouncing President Barack Obama’s recent gun control actions even before he announced them. They were incapable of listening to the other side and engaging in a debate based on fact rather than political positioning. This idiocy has bled into Congress, making it nearly impossible to pass any gun control legislation. As a result, Congress has been paralyzed regarding incidents of gun violence in this country. Even powerfully moving events like the San Bernardino and Sandy Hook shootings have failed to have an impact on Congress’ deadlock. Obama’s proposal is a direct response to Congress’ inaction.

The most notable parts of Obama’s proposal, which emphasize its adherence to common sense, are efforts to fund federal agencies involved in research and prevention of gun violence and other gun related issues, such as the Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosive agency (ATF); efforts to introduce background checks; and efforts to research and introduce gun safety technology.

Obama’s plan operates on several assumptions. The first is that criminals and people with potentially dangerous mental health issues should not have access to guns since they are more likely to use them in an irresponsible, reckless or otherwise endangering way. This approach is so intuitive that, according to a poll conducted by Politifact, 84 percent of American citizens support it.

The proposal to fund federal agencies falls in to the same category. Unless we are able to conduct more research into why these mass shooting events are happening, who they are being perpetrated by, how many people are dying because of them and how we can prevent them in the future, we will not be able to effectively combat the problem of gun violence.

Gun safety technology is another promising avenue that needs to be explored, such as technology that only allows authorized users to fire weapons after using finger print scanners. If this technology could be used in tandem with background checks, it could ensure that only lawful citizens are able to fire guns, and it will encourage gun owners to use their weapons in a safer, more responsible way.

Law-abiding citizens who purchase firearms with the intent to use them in a safe and responsible manner, or those who already own a firearm that they use in a safe and responsible manner, have no reason to fear this legislation. People with a criminal background or mental health issues will be affected by this legislation, however, which I believe will be a good thing for the rest of society.

Although President Obama’s executive action on gun control is a good start, more needs to be done to ensure that gun violence decreases. Unless politicians find a way to engage in a rational conversation that results in new legislation and impacts on gun violence, presidents will have to continue using their executive authority to decrease the amount of gun violence in this country.