The Dalai Lama Speaks of Compassion During Time of Conflict

The Dalai Lama visited the University of Utah to speak on compassion and universal responsibility at the Huntsman Center on Tuesday, June 21, 2016

As the 14th Dalai Lama entered the Huntsman Arena, the crowd hushed to a whisper and arose without cue, as he made his way to a carpeted seating area with an oversized ornamental plush chair in the center of the stage.

The U’s president David Pershing introduced His Holiness and honored him with a presidential medal and a visor with the U logo, both which the Dalai Lama proudly wore during his speech.

The Dalai Lama greeted the audience with a “hello,” hands together in a prayer gesture and bowed to the audience, many of whom returned the sentiment. His speech, a mixture of humor and seriousness, focused on compassion and universal responsibility.

_DSC1535.jpg
The Dalai Lama visited the University of Utah to speak on compassion and universal responsibility at the Huntsman Center on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 | Photo Credit: Chris Ayers

“Whenever I give a talk, I always stress,” the Dalai Lama said as he began his speech in broken English. “We are the same human being; the audience and the speaker, basically the same emotionally, mentally, physically. But more important, everyone wants a happy life and do not want problems, so everyone has that right to achieve that desire or goal,” He went on to express that even animals and insects have the right and desire for a happy life.

His Holiness told a story about when he was attending an event in Hiroshima where someone suggested achieving “peace through prayer.” Being skeptical, the Dalai Lama noted that praying for peace hasn’t resulted in a positive outcome. “During war, both sides pray to God. And God, I think, finds it difficult that his blessings should go to this side or that side” he said.

The Dalai Lama explained that the way to peace is through individual responsibility–not only through prayer. “Who creates violence? Destroys peace? Not God. But you. You have the responsibility to solve this problem, since you created it.” He added “that peace comes only through action, not through prayer”. But warned that if we don’t “make an effort with full enthusiasm, determination, this present situation, unhealthy situation [of violence], will continue.” He expressed that society needs to create a new way of thinking with the goal towards a more global citizenship and responsibility.

A question submitted online by a U doctoral student asked about the role scientific education plays in universal responsibility. The Dalai Lama answered that an open mind and skepticism is necessary to bring a person to questions, and in turn those “questions brings an effort to find answers.” According to His Holiness, when a person thinks that they know everything there is to know, there is no further progress. The Dalai Lama said that even though he is 81 years old, he still considers himself a student of the ancient Indian masters.

He concluded his speech saying, “now the time comes, we have to make an effort to achieve a happier world, a compassionate world. Then this century should be a more peaceful, more happier century. So if we make an effort now, then the later part of the 21st century can be more peaceful, more compassionate, more happier.” The way to accomplish this, he said, starts with each individual person having a sense of concern for humanity and to foster it within their own families.

“There is just something very interesting about that man, that I can’t explain it,” said Ray Niederhauser, a U alumnus who attended the event with his wife and daughter, who had seen the Dalai Lama speak 15 years ago during his last visit to Utah and were excited for his return. “There’s something that’s so calming about him and his wonderful message that resonates compassion.”

_DSC1550.jpg
University President David W. Pershing received a thank you from the Dalai Lama following his talk on compassion and universal responsibility at the Huntsman Center on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 | Photo Credit: Chris Ayers

The Dalai Lama’s visit was not without controversy. A Weber State University professor encouraged Utah lawmakers not to meet with the Dalai Lama as it could damage relations between the state and China. A warning that seemed to be disregarded by most politicians, as Gov. Gary Herbert and Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski both met with His Holiness during his visit.

Proceeds from ticket sales went to Primary Children’s Hospital, homeless services of Utah, and the Utah Tibetan Association. The Dalai Lama is expected to visit the Tibetan Community Center, which was designed in part by students from the U’s School of Architecture. Originally the Dalai Lama’s speech was scheduled for last October during the dedication of the community center, but due to concerns over his health the event was rescheduled.

Watch the Dalai Lama’s speech on compassion and universal responsibility in its entirety here.

@hirschikiss