Negative Views of Piercings and Tattoos Should Be Re-examined

For years tattoos and piercings have been stereotyped as negative and as a sign of a criminal personality. There are several TV shows about tattoo art, and according to most surveys, just thirty percent of adult Americans have one or more tattoos. Villains in television and movies are often seen with excessive piercings or tattoos and it’s fairly common for those who have visible tattoos or piercings to have a harder time getting a job than those who don’t, even if they’re more qualified. According to an article from the Huffington Post, hiring managers feel that hiring people with visible tattoos will make them unappealing to customers and customers prefer staff to not be tattooed.

It’s not at all uncommon for an establishment to have a dress code, but there aren’t any laws that protect someone from not getting discriminated against in the workplace. Job applications often make some restrictive distinction along the lines of “may not have any visible tattoos or piercings.” Some jobs, like employment at Zaxbies, a fast food restaurant, don’t even allow unnatural hair coloring. Some police departments don’t allow their officers to have tattoos visible when wearing a uniform.

When doing research for this article, I found that some students think it’s perfectly acceptable for someone to not be hired due to tattoos or piercings because it’s something that they chose. “Wouldn’t you be uncomfortable if your doctor had tattoos all over his face?” As a matter of fact, no. I’d say “Sick ink bro,” because a person’s physical appearance has nothing to do with their ability to practice medicine. Getting a piercing doesn’t take away your MD. Other students found that it was strange for someone to be discriminated against because of those things.

There’s a post going around the internet explaining how body piercings and tattoos act as correspondences to Satan. Seriously. Here’s what the post says: “nose piercings mean the person receives instructions from Satan. Eyebrow piercings show a person is ready to kill. Gages are used to hide marijuana. A tongue piercing means someone can sing to Satan. And a piercing on your genitalia means you enjoy having sex”. If you don’t believe me, look up “Satan exposed in popular culture.”

These crazy beliefs are encouraged by movies and shows like “The Craft,” where the antagonist has piercings and worships Satan, “Elektra” where one of the bad guys have tattoos that come to life, and “Prison Break” where the main character has tattoos of demons all over his body to cover up the tattoos of the prison map. Other villains that cater to this idea that people with marked faces are evil are Darth Maul from “The Phantom Menace” and El Diablo from “Suicide Squad.” Even the thugs in Spongebob are drawn with tattoos. There are innumerable examples linking tattoos to bad moral conduct, though no correlation exists in real life between tattoos and bad behavior.

We don’t need tattoos to let us know someone is a villain. We can see that in their actions.

Back in high school several of my friends who had nose piercings talked occasionally about how hard it was for them to find a job to start saving for college. Even though very few people in government or office jobs actually have visible tattoos, according to stawpaw.com, the actual views of hiring managers regarding tattoos seems to be changing. Hopefully, within a few years, no one’s body expressions will keep them from getting well-paying jobs or decent representation in the media.

• A

AnnetteJul 30, 2022 at 8:55 pm

There’s no way I would hire anyone that is tattooed or has piercings on their face. It turns my stomach and the majority of the public has less respect for someone that is trying to look as bad as humanly possible. Why would I want them to be the face of my business?

• K

KatFeb 22, 2020 at 10:14 am

I’m a professional woman with 13 piercings, ten of which are ear piercings, the other three are my navel and above and are covered. I also believe in God. I believe the lord gave us free will and minds of our own, also I believe the body is a temple, but many temples are ornate! If you do unto others and treat others well and live a godly life, your piercings or tattoos do not matter. I also have many friends who practice other religions or do not believe in God at all, and they are still wonderful people. I choose to live by example and not preach.
    I think tattoos are beautiful and works of art if well done, but they aren’t for me as even retouches and cover ups will not help weight or age lol, but more power to people brave enough to get them. Most of my tatted friends don’t care what their ink will look like in 40 years and don’t care! My problem is I would care, making them not for me. My piercings have aged well, some I’ve had for 15+ years. Yes, scars will be left behind, but they are hidden and small.
    My parents are from the older generation, and don’t understand, but my piercings are confidence boosters and are empowering to me, plus they add a bit of sparkle. My family does not comment any more. Contrary to popular belief they are for me only and not a romantic partner.

• A

ASep 20, 2018 at 8:44 pm

Piercings and tattoos are a form of expression. Some are sentimental, and others are for fun, but they were a decision that was wanted. I have nine piercings, and each one is special to me in the sense I got them done with someone special to me. It wasn’t a rebellious act, or a way to mar my body. It’s a way to remember who matters. Anyone who has a tattoo or piercing hasn’t disgraced their body but merely created a canvas with their skin

• F

Free2SpeakAug 19, 2018 at 7:38 pm

A beautiful body is a clean, whole, unmarked, unmutilated body. Tattoos and piercings (other than single small earrings on women) are a violation of bodily integrity, a desecration of our bodies, and a sign of vanity and rebellion against God.

While I never show it out of courtesy, I feel physical disgust and sadness every time I see people displaying with these self inflicted mutilations. I wish that people would understand the spiritual significance of what they are doing. Whether they realize it or not, by not taking a stand for purity and natural beauty, they are promoting a culture of depravity and death.

• M

MariFeb 8, 2019 at 7:09 am

Hi. Not everyone believes in god. Nor dome have to. A beautiful person to me, is someone who isn’t afraid to express themselves.

• R

rin blanksApr 4, 2022 at 11:43 am

How come you believe that small earrings on women are fine but all other piercings aren’t okay.

• D

DanMay 13, 2022 at 10:41 am

Shut up!!! Stop judging!!! Who cares what you think!!! Get a life!!!

• S

Sabrina DavisJul 26, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Employers have every moral right to refuse to hire freaks. Their legal right to do so should always be respected and protected.

• J

Jenna406Jan 13, 2019 at 5:16 pm

That’s called discrimination