Get Your Vitamin D Hiking in Utah this Summer

Fiona Thomas
Adam’s Canyon Trail Waterfall. (Photo by Fiona Thomas)

Pleasant Salt Lake City weather is giving everybody the motivation needed to search for outdoor activities. It’s lucky we have within our reach several moderate, yet fulfilling, hikes and walking trails. So on the few days that you have off of work and your dreaded summer semester classes, be sure to go get your Vitamin D and check out some of these local day-hikes. The following three hikes are also all phenomenally dog-friendly if you are lucky enough to have a little friend.

The Living Room Lookout

Traveling alongside a wooded ravine, this trail is popular during the summertime, especially among locals. This trail is an easy 2.2-mile day-length trail for those wanting to feel a bit productive during their day, but unwilling to overdo it. A hardcore workout isn’t always needed to enjoy the outdoors and the sun. The best part of this trail is the reward at the end — a spectacular view. Consisting of the furniture-esque rock formations at the viewpoint, coining this trail with its well-known name, and the beautiful view of Salt Lake, it’s no surprise why this trail is a favorite. For students, this trail is ideal because it is located right behind campus overlooking Red Butte Gardens and the University of Utah. Since it is extremely popular, my recommendation would be to try going there on a weekday when it is likely to be less crowded. 

Adams Canyon Trail

This 3.4-mile trail is a little ways from the U, but definitely worth the drive. This day hike could be labeled as an was to moderate level. The hike has been created based on historical homes in the valley and will give a bit of a history lesson with a few placards along the route. It starts with a sunny desert feel and an insane amount of switchbacks for a solid 20 minutes. This hike, however, becomes a truly beautiful Uinta Mountain hike. The trail follows a flowing river leading to little waterfalls throughout and then finishes at one large flowing waterfall to beat all waterfalls. By the time you hit the two-mile mark on this adventure, the trail begins to narrow down and become a bit more difficult. This trail definitely requires you to be in shape, and the final summit does require climbing experience. Once you hit that final summit though, cool off in the water and enjoy the phenomenal view. 

Donut Falls Trail

For more of a relaxed walk for you and your group of friends, rather than an intense hike, drive out to the beautiful Donut Falls Trail. Granted, earlier in the year there has been a risk of snow and slush, but for summertime, it’s the perfect opportunity to go out and see the falls. This trail is heavily populated and can feel more like a park trail rather than a hiking trail. The wooded path gives a nice amount of shade and comfort, and the wide trail makes group conversation and freedom for speed more available. The entire trail is made of sidewalks, making strollers and bikes easily accessible. 

These are some of the many gorgeous trails we have here in Utah. Take some time this summer to go out, see all we have to offer in our beautiful state and let endorphins and Vitamin D fill your soul. To gain more information on these hikes, and to find similar hikes, download the AllTrails app on your phone.

@AbigailRaasch