No. 4 Red Rocks Fall to Oregon State in Final Regular-Season Meet

Jonathan Wang

University of Utah gymnastics team at a home meet in 2022. (Photo by Jonathan Wang | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Sean Overton, Sports Editor

After a big 197.925-196.675 win against Arizona last week, the No. 4 Red Rocks (12-3, 5-2 Pac-12) are back on the road. In their last regular season meet of the year, the Red Rocks travelled to Corvallis to face No. 13 Oregon State. 

Last week saw Cristal Isa finish her career in the Huntsman with a perfect 10.000 on the beam. Maile O’Keefe took home the all-around title with 39.525, scoring 9.900 on beam, floor and vault. 

Facing the Beavers, the Red Rocks started the afternoon on bars, posting 49.550. The rotation was led by Sage Thompson and Isa, both posting 9.950, with Thompson’s score being a season-high. Utah has shown great improvement on the bars this season, and gained an early 49.550-49.300 lead. 

Moving on to vault, O’Keefe got it started for the Red Rocks with a 9.775, slightly lower than her 9.900 last week. Abby Brenner came next with a 9.900, hitting that mark on both bars and vault. Lucy Stanhope appeared to slip on the vault, and her 8.925 would end up being dropped. 

Utah only posted 49.225 on vault, while Oregon State matched Utah’s 49.550 on bars. At the halfway mark, the Red Rocks trailed the Beavers 98.775-98.850. But with the best beam rotation in the nation yet to go, Utah was positioned well to close the gap. 

Heading in to the third event, Brenner started the Red Rocks off with a 9.875 on floor, followed by a bit 9.900 from Jaylene Gilstrap. Abby Paulson came in next, getting a 9.900 of her own. 

The Red Rocks finished with 49.475 on the floor, highlighted by a 9.925 from O’Keefe. But the Beavers found 49.550 on the beam, and Utah fell even further behind at 148.250-148.400. 

With only beam left for the Red Rocks, they hoped to come back in their final regular-season meet of the year. 

Utah put up strong scores on the beam, with Isa and Paulson leading the Red Rocks with 9.925. O’Keefe unfortunately fell on her mount and only earned a 9.425. The Red Rocks finished the beam rotation with 49.450, giving them a total of 197.700. 

This was a tough loss for Utah, as they fell 197.700-197.950 to Oregon State. The good news is that this likely will not affect their rankings significantly. 

Despite some falls that cost the Red Rocks some points, the team performed well. They were able to keep it close with the Beavers, and certainly will look to make some adjustments before next week. The Red Rocks average more points this season than any other Pac-12 team, but will certainly look to exceed their average against one of NCAA gymnastics’ toughest conferences.

The Red Rocks return to Salt Lake next week, competing in the Pac-12 championship at the Maverik Center. The meet will take place on March 18, with the time still to be decided. Be sure to support the Red Rocks as they face tough competition in the Pac-12 championship.

@seanoverton3