Kelly Clarkson’s ‘chemistry’ Is Stable, But Not Quite Reactive

Promo image for Chemistry by Kelly Clarkson (Courtesy of Atlantic Records)

Promo image for “Chemistry” by Kelly Clarkson (Courtesy of Atlantic Records)

By Edie Raines, Copy Editor

Kelly Clarkson’s 10th and latest studio album, “chemistry,debuted in late June. The album goes in-depth into all the emotions one feels at the beginning and end of romantic relationships. 

Chemical Reactions

It’s difficult to ignore the impact of Clarkson’s 2020 divorce from Brandon Blackstock on the production of “chemistry.” Much of the songwriting and recording of the album took place in the middle of the divorce process, which ended in 2022. The themes present in the lyrics — anger, hyper-independence, depression and rebirth — all signify an album highly influenced by the singer’s personal life.

Clarkson is also known for writing breakup anthems. “Since U Been Gone,” “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)” and “Breakaway” are iconic, better-without-you songs one might be compelled to scream-sing after a nasty breakup.

However, Clarkson has been insistent that the album is about much more than just the end of a relationship. The album’s title refers to the multitude of emotional reactions that take place during a long-term partnership. Clarkson told NPR, “[I]t was really important to me to have a full scope of a relationship and not just the negative … There were some beautiful moments like, how lucky am I to have felt that, to have been in love, to have that chemical reaction with someone?”

Me and Mine

“chemistry” is a well-composed album that highlights Clarkson’s impeccable vocals. The three singles, “mine,” “me” and “favorite kind of high,” are all solid, archetypal Clarkson hits. All three, as well as the album as a whole, have done well on the charts.

“mine” and “me” were jointly released as a double A-side single on April 14. Both songs allow Clarkson’s strong voice to shine in the ballad, similar to the breakup song “What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger.”

“favorite kind of high” breaks up (pun intended) the end-of-relationship theme that, despite Clarkson’s best efforts, does, unfortunately, take over much of the album. This single was released just before “chemistry” on May 19. 

Comfort in Familiarity

It can’t really be said that any of the songs on “chemistry” are particularly unique in the grand scheme of things. This is not an album that will make you rethink music entirely. “chemistry” feels very familiar, very 2010, very Clarkson. All of the songs sound exactly like something you would hear in a modern rom-com. Specifically, right after the girl-boss starlet realizes she’s been duped by her conventionally attractive love interest and decides to get her life back together. It’s well done, but it’s more or less cookie-cutter. 

That being said, it is impossible to pretend you can’t hear the genuine pain, heartache and hope Clarkson poured into both the writing and performing of each song. The lyrics are relatable and to the point. Something that may bring many people comfort as they push through moments similar to those Clarkson used to fuel her writing. “chemistry” may not reinvent the wheel, but it’s a perfectly sound album. Anyone who grew up listening to as much Clarkson as I did should give a listen. 

@ed_edd_n_edie