No. 4 Red Rocks Remain Undefeated at Home Against Oregon State

The team also swept the individual awards, with Jaedyn Rucker winning vault, Grace McCallum winning bars, Malie O’Keefe winning beam and floor, and Makenna Smith winning the all-around.
Xiangyao Tang
Utah gymnast Maile O’Keefe in her beam routine versus the Oregon State Beavers at the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City on Friday, Feb. 2, 2024. (Photo by Xiangyao “Axe” Tang | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Returning to the Huntsman Center after decisively defeating Arizona State 197.675-196.700 last week, the No. 4 Utah Red Rocks (6-3, 2-0 Pac-12) faced No. 16 Oregon State. The Red Rocks have been strong at home against the Beavers, with a 11-0 record all-time.

Starting the night on vault, Camie Winger started with a 9.825, followed by fellow freshman Ella Zirbes with 9.775. Ashley Glynn added a 9.875 before Makenna Smith scored 9.925. Jaedyn Rucker came back big with a 9.975 after scoring just 9.250 last week. Jaylene Gilstrap came in at the anchor, scoring a big 9.925 to give the Red Rocks a season-best 49.525 on vault.

Oregon State only scored 49.175 on bars, giving the Red Rocks a huge lead through just one event. Smith started on bars with 9.875, followed by Alani Sabado with 9.775. Amelie Morgan delivered a beautiful 9.875 before Zirbes fell on the bar, scoring 9.025. Fan favorite Maile O’Keefe came next, originally scoring 9.575 before being changed to 9.675 at the end of the event. With back-to-back low scores, the Red Rocks would have to count O’Keefe’s score. Grace McCallum came in with a big 9.950 to earn some points back, giving the Red Rocks 49.150 on bars to tighten the score.

The Red Rocks held a narrow 98.675-98.525 lead halfway through the meet. The performance on bars was uncharacteristic for this team, but the Red Rocks still held the lead heading into their best event.

Morgan started on beam with 9.825, followed by 9.850 from Smith. McCallum delivered a beautiful performance, scoring 9.925. Abby Paulson matched McCallum with a 9.925 of her own before O’Keefe scored another perfect 10. It was her third perfect score of the season, matching a school-record of 14 through her career. Gilstrap came in as the anchor, taking a fall and scoring only 9.225.

The Red Rocks finished beam with 49.525, totaling 148.200 through three events. Oregon State scored 48.350 on floor, allowing Utah to expand their lead with just one event to go.

Smith started on floor with a 9.875, giving her 39.525 in all-around competition. Gilstrap followed with 9.900 before Paulson scored her second 9.925 of the night. Rucker took a fall on her performance, scoring 9.125 that would later be dropped. O’Keefe scored a big 9.950 and McCallum scored 9.900 as the anchor.

The Red Rocks finished with 49.550 on floor, scoring a season-high 197.750. The team also swept the individual awards: Rucker won vault, McCallum won bars, O’Keefe won beam and floor, and Smith won the all-around. Utah had a dominant win, finishing 197.750-196.100 for their fifth straight win.

After the win, the Red Rocks face a two-game road trip, facing No. 29 Washington before heading to No. 11 UCLA. Utah will face Washington on Saturday, Feb. 10 at 1:00 p.m. MST, with coverage on Pac-12 Networks.

@seanoverton3