Utah Lacrosse Falls to Denver in Home-Opener

McMahon, Bradbury and Moyer led the team in goals with two apiece. Bradbury led the way in points, adding an assist to go along with his two goals.
University of Utah Utes Lacrosse Team Head Coach Brian Holman preps the team after 1st half during an NCAA game against the Jacksonville Dolphins in Salt Lake City on March 6, 2021. (Photo by Abu Asib | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

After a tough 8-11 loss at Ohio State to start the season, the No. 13 University of Utah lacrosse team (0-2) returned home to face Denver at Rice Eccles Stadium. The Utes fell short to No. 10 Denver 16-8, as the team struggled early in the season. After winning the ASUN Championship last year, this is not the start the team expected.

First Half

The first half started out very energetic, with Denver scoring almost immediately. Tyler Bradbury quickly evened it for the Utes. Denver replied again, and MJ McMahon once again tied it up. Denver gained a two-goal lead before Carson Moyer delivered a powerful goal to shrink the lead. Denver scored two quick goals in the final minute of the first quarter to take a 6-3 lead.

The second quarter opened with the same pace, as Denver once again scored two quick goals. Jordan Hyde and Moyer each got a goal to bring the score to 8-5. Denver scored another goal with just under seven minutes remaining in the half, and neither team would reach the back of the net before halftime.

Second Half

Coming out of halftime, both teams were looking tired. Only three goals were scored in the third quarter, one from Denver and two from Utah. Denver scored first, followed by McMahon and Bradbury for the Utes. With just one quarter to go, Utah pulled themselves to a three-point deficit, losing 10-7.

But Utah’s hopes of a comeback would be short lived, as Denver scored two quick goals to open the final quarter of play. Ryan Stines scored for Utah, but it would be Utah’s last goal of the game. Denver scored four more goals to put the game away and give Utah their second loss of the season.

The Utes now travel to New York, taking on Syracuse on Feb. 21 at 10:30 a.m. MST. They will then return home to face Vermont on Feb. 24 at 12:00 p.m. MST. The game will be held in Rice-Eccles Stadium and broadcast on Utah Live Stream-3.

@lukeeskinner