Utah Lacrosse Takes Down Mercer to Win Five Straight

Utah set the tone in the game, just allowing just three goals in the second half.
Tom Denton
Utah Lacrosse vs. Robert Morris on May 1, 2022 at Ute Field. (Photo by Tom Denton | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

After defeating Lindenwood 17-5 on the road, the Utah lacrosse team (8-4, 6-1 ASUN) traveled to Georgia to take on Mercer. The Utes grabbed a comfortable 20-9 win, earning back-to-back road victories. Utah has been on fire recently, winning five straight games and making a mark in the ASUN standings.

First Half

Just a minute in, Jared Andreala grabbed the first goal for the Utes. After two saves from goalkeeper Colin Lenskold, Tyler Bradbury found the next goal of the day. Mercer responded with quick consecutive goals to even the match at 2-2 with six minutes left in the first quarter. However, Jordan Hyde snuck one in the back of the net to regain the lead off an assist by Colby Plotts. After another goal from Mercer, Cody Hart once again put the Utes ahead with an assist from Ryan Stines. After a few minutes of play, Bryce Horton would grab a near buzzer-beater, scoring a goal with just a second to spare to put Utah up by two heading into the next quarter.

Bradbury found his second goal early in the second. Soon after, Andreala also got his second goal of the match, assisted by Carson Moyer. After two goals from Mercer, Moyer scored to give Utah an 8-5 lead with three minutes in the half. After another goal from the opposing side, Andreala secured his hat trick to send Utah into the half up 9-6.

Second Half

After the Utes let up a quick goal to open the third, Stines picked up next. Mercer scored again, but Utah ended the quarter with five straight goals to expand the lead even further. Horton struck first, with Stines following close behind. Less than a minute later, Andreala found his fourth of the match, with his fifth coming soon after. Finally, Hyde got in on the action, to score the final goal of the quarter.

Heading into the fourth quarter, the score was 15-8 in favor of Utah. 45 seconds into the quarter, Stines scored again, following it up minutes later with his fourth and final goal. Justus Peterson found the back of the net with an assist from MJ McMahon, and Utah started running away with the lead. Utah then scored another pair of goals from Brady Grandstaff and Luke Haley. Mercer scored one last goal in the final minute, but it would be too little, too late.

Utah set the tone in the game, just allowing three goals in the second half. Lenskold did a phenomenal job in goal, allowing just nine goals and recording 14 saves.

Andreala led the Utes in goals, scoring five. Stines scored four goals and added an assist.

Up Next

Utah will now play their last away game of the season on April 20 at Cleveland State before returning home to face Queens College of Charlotte on April 27 in their final regular-season game. The Utes then hope to play in the ASUN Championship on April 30. Currently in second place in the ASUN standings, Utah looks to finish the season strong.

@lukeeskinner