Utah Lacrosse Rallies Through Cleveland State in Final Away Game

Everybody got in on the action, as 10 different Utes scored. Hyde and Bradbury led the team in scoring with four each, and Bradbury contributed four assists as well. 
Xiangyao Tang
The Utah men’s lacrosse celebrates after scoring against the University of Vermont Catamounts at Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City on Saturday, Feb. 24, 2024. (Photo by Xiangyao “Axe” Tang | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

The Utah Lacrosse team (9-4, 7-1 ASUN) had a great win on Saturday against Cleveland State (7-7). The win was a crucial one, as the Utes remain in second place in the ASUN standings after winning six straight games. This was their last away game for the season, and will face Queens University of Charlotte in the final regular-season game.

First Half

The game started off slow for Utes. Cleveland was able to get a goal just a minute in. It was not until minute 10 for the Utes to get their goal. The honors went to Jordan Hyde, assisted by MJ McMahon. Three minutes later, with just a minute remaining in the first quarter, Tyler Bradbury got his first goal, assisted by Josh Rose.

Utah held a slight lead heading into the second quarter, at 2-1. Utah offense picked up very well this quarter. The first goal would slide in just a minute and a half in by Carson Moyer, assisted by Jared Andreala. Soon after, Cody Hart score found one of his own, quickly followed by Luke Haley. Hyde came in with two quick goals, scoring just four seconds apart. Hyde was assisted by Colby Plotts and Ryan Stines. Cleveland State scored their second of the day, and Bradbury quickly responded. McMahon, Plotts and Bradbury all scored to round out Utah’s first half. CSU got the final goal of the quarter, and Utah headed into halftime with a 12-3 lead.

Second Half

The third quarter started with Andreala getting another goal for the Utes. After an uneventful stretch, CSU scored with just three minutes remaining. They added another quick goal before Stines scored the final goal of the quarter, as Utah headed into the fourth with a 14-5 lead.

The fourth quarter was back and fourth, with both teams finding two goals. Cleveland State got the first goal, before Bradbury got his fourth, assisted by Stines. Cleveland State scored their final goal of the game with seven minutes remaining. Luc Charbonnier found the back of the net, assisted by Tyler Schifko. The Utes ended with a dominant 16-7 win, their sixth consecutive win. Utah has been strong on the road this season, going 6-2, including 5-0 in ASUN play.

Next Up

Utah will play their final regular season game at Ute Field on Saturday, April 27 at 6 p.m. MDT. Be sure to support the Utes as they host Senior Night before the ASUN postseason gets underway.

@lukeeskinner