Stuart: Just Say Yes

Marco Lozzi
Allison Stuart, news writer of the Daily Utah Chronicle, poses for a photo outside the Student Services Building on the University of Utah campus in Salt Lake City on April 2, 2024. (Photo by Marco Lozzi | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

I still remember when I was a wide-eyed freshman, walking around campus and looking for ways to get involved. I had picked communication as a tentative major, since you had to choose upon enrollment. I had been involved in my high school news program and really enjoyed it. It was a lead I decided to follow, in the true nature of the business. There was something just enticing about being on camera, speaking to many and keeping them informed. I have always joked that I am a nosy person, and love to know what is going on in the world and lives of those I love. Being a journalist is a perfect way to do it all.

So here comes 18-year-old Allison, walking over to the Chronicle table. I met my future editors that day: Kayleigh Silverstein and Natalie Colby. I got a job on the news desk. It seemed like the best fit for me at the time, and I am so thankful I did. In my three years on the news desk I have learned so much about the wonderful people at the University of Utah, and have also looked at corruption and changes that need to be made on campus.

My time at the Chrony has led to some amazing — and random — opportunities. My advice to anyone reading this is to just say yes! You never truly know where it will lead you. College is a time to take risks and grow. It is wild to track where I have been over these last three years. Throughout my years at college and writing for the Chrony, I have embraced things that are outside my comfort zone. It is so special to be able to look back and reflect.

My connections at the Chrony led me to working closely with U marketing, making videos and even some random modeling gigs. (Sorry to anyone who has seen my TikToks.)

The next year my friend called me and asked if I wanted a job at a local axe throwing place. I said yes, unsure of where that really would lead (I did not know how to throw an axe one bit, but I really needed a job). Then working at Social Axe led me to meeting my future employer, on a whim, when they literally walked through the door to throw some axes. It was intimidating but saying yes led me to working overnight shifts as an Associate Producer at KSL, which led me to be moved to day side and promoted to working as a producer — producing TV news for people all around Utah.

Who knows where I would be now, if I had not had the courage to say yes.

As things have changed in my life, I am grateful to have the Chrony as a constant. In my time on the news desk, I have written more than 80 stories, done seven collaborations with other writers and been in two podcast episodes. I have been lucky enough to cover national politics, many unique student features and the ins and outs of ASUU and student government at the U.

Even though I have landed on a career and identity as a journalist, I am still unsure what the future will hold for me — a shocking thing to say in a farewell piece, but I vowed to be honest. I am planning on pursuing my dreams of being a writer and reader, in whatever capacity that comes my way. I always imagined myself writing a book — so that is on my list. I want to be a reporter, hopefully in broadcasting.

Through it all, I know my God is leading me, and that he has plans for me. Jeremiah 29:11 says “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'”

So, as I approach graduation and write this farewell piece, I am no longer so nervous about what the future will hold. My time at college was already on a fast track, but saying yes led me to dig deeper than I thought possible.

Thank you to my amazing support system, my small group, my partner and my family. Thank you to my editors, all three sets of them. To close, I most of all want to thank my God. I am beyond blessed that He has led me through all the uncertainty in this major and life.

The world is wide! Say yes … and thank you for being part of my journey.

@AllisonChrony