‘Thank You, Goodnight’: Bon Jovi Drops Legendary Dad Lore

“Are we telling the truth or are we gonna lie?” — Richie Sambora
(Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons via Mack Male)

Thank You, Goodnight: The Bon Jovi Story” details the story of five guys from New Jersey who created hit songs, discovered a sound with 15 studio albums, navigated the change from unknown to known, dealt with personal challenges, learned the industry and ultimately achieved international fame.

In true “dad lore” fashion, the focus of the docuseries was not partying — although Bon Jovi alludes to it by saying “all those things that rock stars say they did, we did it” — but rather what others can learn from their story.

Hard Work and Determination

None of the guys had natural talent.

Jon Bon Jovi’s guitar teacher threatened to stop teaching him if he didn’t take music seriously. His singing teachers told him his voice was nothing special.

Keyboardist David Bryan also had a rough start with music, stating, “An instrument’s honest. If you don’t practice, you suck.”

Now, 40 years later, they’re still putting in the work. Bon Jovi is seen doing everything from taking vitamins and undergoing laser therapy to attending coaching sessions and working through warm-up and warm-down routines to improve his voice.

The Importance of Supporting Your Friends

They started making music together as a band because they were all friends with a mutual hobby.

Each of the guys had been involved in their own projects when they connected through mutual friends. Playing with the simple goal of wanting to create music, they supported each other’s growth while perfecting their craft.

Unfortunately, the band has had to replace some of its original members over the years. However, it was never from a place of conflict. This is proven by the fact that Richie Sambora, the member whose departure from the band sparked media controversy, returned for the show with nothing but good things to say about his time with the band.

The new members they introduced were also friends who supported them from the beginning. Hugh McDonald, who took over for Alec John Such, played bass on the original recording of “Runaway.” Guitarist Phil X was a fan and cover artist of the band before filling in, and eventually taking over, for Sambora. Bon Jovi giving Phil X his start in the music industry was also very reminiscent of how Bon Jovi got his, by playing in a cover band that got noticed by Bruce Springsteen, one of his idols and now friends.

‘We Just Evolved’

Although at times taking up to five years to release an album and pursuing individual projects, the band never stopped making music together. Even though they’ve had to replace some members, it was on good terms and they’ve consistently released music over the years.

The band reflected on their sound throughout the years. From first breaking into the scene of heavy metal with “Slippery When Wet,” to exploring country with “Lost Highway,” to introducing technology into their production with “Have A Nice Day,” to then finding a new sound with new guitarist Phil X with “Burning Bridges” and “This House Is Not for Sale.” Now, the band has had to find a new sound again after Bon Jovi’s vocal cord surgery.

It looks like they’ve found it because the band announced that their 16th studio album “Forever” will be released on June 7. Singles “Legendary” and “Living Proof” give fans a sneak peek, featuring strong percussion and sentimental lyrics.

@u_mponce