Lady Gaga Makes a Bold Statement With ‘Gaga Chromatica Ball’

She is Mother Monster.
Photo courtesy of Josh Sobel/HBO, a Warner Bros. Pictures release.

Gaga Chromatica Ball” is a two-hour concert film of The Chromatica Ball Tour performance at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. Divided into four acts and a finale, Lady Gaga performs 22 of her biggest hits with very little rest, dancing through the silence between songs to keep the performance continuous. A collection of songs from various points in her discography, this concert is a celebration of Gaga’s music career.

It’s Bold, It’s Strong, It’s Camp

The show is filled with bold visuals.

A video of bold silhouette shapes set to sharp piano chords captures the audience’s attention at the start of the show. Visuals of Gaga in a tarp-like dress with black liner painted on her eyelids and ink-like stains on her hands making out with a spiked mask set the scene. The piano chords turn into a harpsichord sequence as dancers make their way onto the stage in a contemporary, across-the-floor sequence. A spotlight illuminates the stage as Gaga hits her opening notes of “Bad Romance,” letting the fans know that Mother Monster has arrived.

The costumes were bold. Gaga wore several different looks throughout the performance, from jumpsuits and pantsuits to leather bodysuits and flowing dresses. Strong, emphasized shoulder pads and spikes added structure to her frame, giving her a powerful presence. Decked out in harnesses, spiked chokers and alien-like headdresses, Gaga reminded fans that she’s not afraid to make a fashion statement.

She also allowed her dancers to make fashion statements, making their costumes cohesive but not identical.

The choreography was bold. Filled with expressive, full-body movements, it was the type of choreography where the dancers must be confident, otherwise their awkwardness would show.

Gaga has always been inspired by drag and the LGBTQ+ community in general, and that influence shows in her performance. There were elements of voguing in her choreography, a style of dance that originated in LGTBQ+ ballroom culture. Strutting across the stage with powerful poses allowed her to take up space, projecting her stage presence into the large stadium.

There were quite a few moments where the dancers broke off into choreographed chaos, performing improvised movements that allowed them to individually express themselves to her music.

The Final Moments

Sitting at a piano on a small platform in the middle of the audience, Gaga performed a number of her songs as stripped-down, powerful ballads. Taking time to talk to the crowd and share uplifting messages, these songs became dedicated to the 52,344 fans she was performing for.

Changing into a black leather bodysuit and white tank top, with fishnets, thigh-high boots and a leather jacket — complete with accessories of a diamond choker and a long, spindly fingered glove monster hand — Gaga performed her last song “Hold My Hand.” With special effects of fire and fireworks emphasizing the heavy-hitting percussion, and Gaga’s vocals just as powerful as the guitar notes, she ended the show on a high note.

Thanking her band and bowing with her backup dancers, Gaga says goodnight and turns to exit the stage. Spinning back around and hitting dance moves similar to Michael Jackson’s, the words “LG7” and “Gaga returns” flash across the screen before cutting to black, hinting at her seventh studio album.

@u_mponce