‘Jim Henson Idea Man’: A Celebration of Life

The film doesn’t really delve any deeper than surface level. It doesn’t really discuss how personal issues may have affected Henson’s work, or how his work might have affected his home life.
“Jim Henson: Idea Man” Courtesy Disney+

Ron Howard’s “Jim Henson: Idea Man” is a visually stunning exploration of a life that redefined entertainment. The documentary is a tribute to Jim Henson, a puppeteer who brought us iconic characters like Kermit the Frog, Ernie and many more. Released in May 2024 on Disney+, the documentary delves into Henson’s life, from his early days on local television to the global success of “Sesame Street” and “The Muppet Show.” It celebrates Henson’s prowess in advancing a genre often dismissed by many as “children’s entertainment.” 

The Man Behind the Muppets

Even though the documentary sticks to the conventional biographical format, it distinguishes itself in its presentation. “Idea Man” benefits from the unprecedented access to Henson’s personal archives. This gives viewers a glimpse into Henson’s mind. We get to see sketches, storyboards and early puppet prototypes. The documentary also shows “lost” footage from Henson’s early career, including commercials featuring forgotten characters like Wilkins and Wontkins. 

A significant portion of the documentary rightfully shines a spotlight on Jane Henson. It shows her contributions and examines the dynamics of her relationship with Jim Henson. Along with this, Howard gathered many interviews with Henson’s family and close collaborators. There are also accounts from Frank Oz, Henson’s longtime partner. However, it had a notable absence of people closely associated with The Muppets. This made the film lack diverse perspectives compared to “Defunctland,” available on YouTube. Perhaps this is because it’s a Disney film. This is fine, but it did constrain the narrative a bit, as it glossed over many of the not-so-good parts of Henson’s life.

“Idea Man” is a well-crafted and comprehensive exploration of its subject. Henson’s life and career are presented with a clear-eyed appreciation. His status as the singular artist who revolutionized his field and brought joy to countless children is undeniable. However, the documentary itself does have a couple of shortcomings.

It Doesn’t Dig Deep

When watching this film, viewers might realize that it is oddly paced. It focuses largely on the start of his career, but once it reaches the second half, it speeds up too much. The film doesn’t really delve any deeper than surface level. It doesn’t really discuss how personal issues may have affected Henson’s work, or how his work might have affected his home life. The film is more of a broad outlook on Henson’s life, which is just fine. However, if it focused more on specifics and delved deeper into his psyche it could be elevated. 

Documentary or Advertisement?

Another issue with the film is its occasional shift towards promotion for Disney. Ending it with Henson’s passing makes sense, but the film goes on to include photos with Michael Eisner and mention Henson’s love for Disneyland. It feels oddly placed and almost insensitive — celebrating his life and art, but then making it an advertisement for Disney. 

Despite these constraints, the documentary is still a great glimpse into Henson’s life. It is an accessible starting point for those who want to learn more about him. If you are looking to find more details about Henson’s artistry, you can check out the comprehensive biography by Brian Jay Jones.

While the documentary could potentially have been extended into a mini-series, its nearly two-hour runtime succeeds in providing a compelling introduction to Jim Henson’s remarkable journey and enduring influence in the world of entertainment.

@israbii