Jang: Child Homelessness Needs Utah’s Attention

Helping Utah’s children means helping Utah’s future. Every child in Utah deserves better living conditions. 
Parker Jenkins
(Design by Parker Jenkins | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

While the housing crisis has become a significant issue, the Utah Legislature has passed multiple bills to minimize homelessness in the state, but its efforts have primarily focused on unhoused adults, leaving inadequate support and resources for homeless children.

The most concerning aspect of child homelessness is the trauma these children experience, which can significantly impact their future confidence. 

We need different approaches to solve child homelessness. Helping Utah’s children means helping Utah’s future. Every child in Utah deserves better living conditions. 

Child Homelessness Needs More Attention

In America, nearly 1.6 million children experience homelessness every year. The actual number might be higher due to underreporting. In Utah, homelessness increased by 27% in 2023, including 3,748 children among 7,033 people. This issue is dire, as nearly half of the increased homeless population in families are children. 

While the Utah government has passed multiple bills to reduce homelessness, the state seems to lack an understanding of how children become unhoused. H.B. 298, a recent bill signed by Gov. Spencer Cox, specifies the state’s goal to reach a “functional zero” level of homelessness, including family homelessness. However, it doesn’t include any supporting programs specifically for unhoused children.

S.B. 223 supports individuals under 26 by waiving fees for specific licenses, certifications and higher education transcripts, however, it does not provide specific solutions for younger children who need immediate help. 

Why Child Homelessness Matters

Child homelessness presents different challenges compared to adult homelessness. We need separate policies to address these issues effectively. High childcare costs are a significant factor. The average cost of childcare in Utah is $637 per month, which is above the national average. This is a substantial burden for families facing financial difficulties due to the housing crisis.

“The rent in Utah is increasing when salaries are not keeping pace,” said Patty James, a Switchpoint Community Resource Center housing manager. “Whatever families are going through, it’s the adults facing the crisis, but their children are affected.”

Domestic violence is one of the leading causes of child homelessness in America, with one-quarter of unhoused children having witnessed violence. A 2023 report shows that the number of unhoused people in Utah, including children who have experienced domestic violence, has increased to 37.8%.

Jennifer Campbell, executive director of the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition, who worked at a shelter for domestic violence survivors for 12 years, said she encounters many young children in the shelter. 

“When I was there, the biggest percentage of individuals sheltered were children, mostly very young, ranging from zero to 5,” Campbell said.

Unhoused children also experience educational challenges due to a lack of basic necessities, such as food, clothing and medical care. Unhoused students are four times more likely to have developmental delays and twice as likely to have learning difficulties.

“It’s a really hard environment for them to be learning when they’re in crisis mode,” Campbell said. 

We Need Different Approaches

While we have experience in developing policies to assist unhoused adults in the U.S., we need different approaches to solve the problem of child homelessness. This goes beyond traditional mental health care services or providing affordable housing. 

We need more collective support and attention for children experiencing domestic violence. Educational institutions should proactively provide resources and create supportive environments for those who might be experiencing violence.

“Teachers should understand that they are mandatory reporters,” Campbell said. “Teachers are going to notice if students start to withdraw from school or if they’re not engaging. It’s really important to understand that what they’re seeing could be a signal of domestic violence.”

Unhoused children often live in unsafe places such as shelters and motels and feel unstable, which is why it is crucial to help them recover from their trauma and mental health challenges.

“The goal should always be to get people out of the stressful or sometimes traumatic experience of being outside,” said Bill Tibbitts, the deputy executive director of the Crossroads Urban Center.

“Experiencing homelessness can be traumatic for children by itself,” Tibbitts said. “However, being homeless exposes children to other types of trauma as they have higher chances of ending up sleeping in unsafe places and may witness domestic violence.”

Homelessness is a pervasive issue and some minors don’t receive the attention they need.

We must help children avoid experiencing homelessness. They have the right to grow up in a safer place and receive quality education like other students. 

Housing and homelessness are not only someone else’s concerns. They impact Utah’s children and affect Utah’s future. We need more genuine attention to this problem. 

@eseudeljang

Eseudel Jang
Eseudel Jang, Opinion Writer
(she/her) Eseudel Jang is an opinion writer for the Daily Utah Chronicle and is majoring in journalism at the University of Utah. She loves interviewing and getting to know people from different backgrounds. In South Korea, she served as a head writer of a production team at the U's Asia Campus. Passionate about promoting children’s rights, Eseudel has marketing experience with a children’s foundation. Also an avid coffee lover, she holds a barista certificate and enjoys writing personal blogs at cafes.
Parker Jenkins
Parker Jenkins, Designer
(he/him) Parker Jenkins joined the Chronicle in 2023 as a designer. He is currently pursuing a degree in biomedical engineering at the University of Utah. Parker grew up in Portland, OR and graduated from an arts school. In addition to design, he enjoys drone photography, filmmaking and soccer!

• J

JuliaJun 10, 2024 at 7:56 am

Good