How the OKC Thunder Built a Contender Fast

Oklahoma City completely rebuilt their team beginning in 2019 and have gone from one of the worst teams in the Western Conference to the No. 1 seed this past year. 

The Oklahoma City Thunder‘s recent success story is a masterclass in navigating the often treacherous waters of an NBA rebuild. After the departures of Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, two generational talents who led the team to the 2012 NBA Finals, the Thunder found themselves staring down the barrel of a long, arduous climb back to relevance. However, through a combination of shrewd trades, strategic drafting and a commitment to player development, the Thunder have defied expectations, transforming themselves into a championship contender once again, all while boasting a treasure trove of future draft assets.

The turning point came in 2016, with Durant’s decision to join the Golden State Warriors. With their championship window slammed shut, the Thunder initiated a full rebuild. They shipped Westbrook to the Houston Rockets a year later, netting a massive haul of draft picks in return. This strategic maneuver became the cornerstone of their plan. General Manager Sam Presti, known for his shrewdness, amassed an impressive collection of first-round picks, not only from the Westbrook trade but also through other savvy deals, similar to the one that sent Serge Ibaka to the Orlando Magic. This stockpile of picks became the lifeblood of the rebuild.

In 2019, the Thunder traded star forward Paul George to the Los Angeles Clippers in exchange for point guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and an astounding five first-round picks. The same year, they landed another cornerstone piece in forward Darius Bazley with the 23rd pick in the draft.

Presti’s genius wasn’t limited to the draft. Trades like the one that brought Paul George to Oklahoma City, albeit for a brief stint, further enriched the team’s asset pool. While George’s departure to the Clippers was a blow, it netted them five future first-round picks, a testament to Presti’s ability to extract maximum value from every transaction.

The focus wasn’t just on acquiring talent; it was on cultivating it. Presti and head coach Mark Daigneault fostered a culture of development. Young players like Gilgeous-Alexander and Josh Giddey, the team’s 2021 lottery pick, were given the reins, allowed to make mistakes and ultimately blossomed into All-Star caliber talents.

The results speak for themselves. The Thunder, once a team in basketball purgatory, shocked the league with a dominant 2023 season, finishing as the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference. While they ultimately fell short in the playoffs, their rapid ascension has been nothing short of remarkable.

Looking ahead, the future remains bright in Oklahoma City. The Thunder boast a young, talented core with championship aspirations, all while still possessing a war chest of future draft picks. This rebuild, orchestrated by Presti’s vision and Daigneault’s guidance, serves as a blueprint for success in the modern NBA, a testament to the power of strategic asset management and player development. The Oklahoma City Thunder are no longer a team on the rise; they’re a force to be reckoned with for years to come.

@max_valva

Max Valva
Max Valva, Sports Writer
Max Valva is a sports writer for the Daily Utah Chronicle and is a studying journalism. Growing up playing basketball he made it his goal to pursue a career connected to the game. He is a diehard A’s, Warriors and Raiders fan.

• Z

zeusJun 15, 2024 at 8:52 am

“cornerstone piece in forward Darius Bazley” and no mention of jalen williams or holmgren?

i’m in shock