Lenny Kravitz Sends a Message of Love and Light With ‘Blue Electric Light’

Influenced by soul, rock and funk, this album combines elements of all of those genres and turns it into what can only be defined as the Lenny Kravitz sound.
Kristofer Hoon
(Design by Kristofer Hoon | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

On May 24, 2024, Lenny Kravitz released his 12th studio album “Blue Electric Light.” Influenced by soul, rock and funk, this album combines elements of all of those genres and turns it into what can only be defined as the Lenny Kravitz sound.

Talking with Zane Lowe for an Apple Music interview, Kravitz explained that this album was born out of the self-reflective time of the COVID-19 pandemic quarantine. Locked down in the Bahamas with nothing to do but reflect on the past, life and what really matters, Kravitz found himself revisiting his teenage years.

“This is the record I didn’t make as a teenager before ‘Let Love Rule,’” he stated.

In honor of incorporating this reflection on the past with the wisdom of the present day, Kravitz included two songs that he wrote in high school that were rediscovered from old cassette tapes a friend gave to him. These two songs, combined with the new ones he created during quarantine, create an album that celebrates the human experience and sends a message of love and light.

Amplifying Love

Kravitz also expressed during his interview with Zane Lowe that his intention with this album was to send a message of love and light.

“As far as I’m concerned, my music is to amplify love. That’s it,” he states. Sticking with this theme, most of the tracks are slow, smooth, passionate and intimate love songs, including the title track “Blue Electric Light.”

Stuck in the Middle” is another slow, smooth love song but also talks about the theory of love. The lyrics tell the story of someone who has truly found their soulmate, discussing elements of the theory of past-life lovers reunited.

Bundle of Joy” is a more upbeat love song, capturing the giddy feeling of excitement in a new relationship.

Spirit in My Heart” is a song expressing appreciation for a romantic partner and how their love makes them a better person. This song is the personal, more intimate version of the overall message of the album, which is that spreading love and light makes the world a better place.

Sending a Message of Love and Light

The other songs on this album also amplify love, but it’s a more general love for the whole of humankind.

It’s Just Another Fine Day (In This Universe of Love)” talks about how love looked different during the COVID-19 quarantine and how separation and social distance made sharing and connection harder.

Heaven” discusses the disbelief over all the fighting in the world. The lyrics, “I just can’t believe that we cannot live together,” and “How can it be that we are not free from terror?” express disappointment with humankind. Although disappointed, the track isn’t sad but rather upbeat and hopeful that positive change will occur.

Kravitz stated that this was one of the songs he wrote in high school, however, given all the horrific attacks that have occurred in the past few years against various humans all over the world, the message is still extremely relevant today.

Despite starting on a more serious note, his perspective on humankind isn’t negative. “Human” is a song that celebrates the imperfections of the human experience. With lyrics like “I am here to be human,” Kravitz shares a message of letting go of what everyone else thinks, all that internalized stigma and fear of judgment, and just living how you want to live.

@u_mponce