‘MaXXXine’: The Glamorous Slasher Film of the Summer

All set to a killer soundtrack, the third installment in the “X” series is a movie you won’t want to miss.
Credit: Justin Lubin
(L-R) Mia Goth, Halsey in “Maxxxine”

MaXXXine,” Ti West’s latest film in the “X” series, hit theaters on Wednesday, July 3. Set 6 years after the events of “X,” the film follows Maxine Minx as she tries to get her big crossover break into the film industry while outrunning a past that threatens to end her.

Returning to the glitz and glam of Hollywood circa 1985, Maxine Minx auditions for the next big horror film. Working through the night instead of going to a party in the hills, she thinks she’s made it after landing the part. However, it’s quickly made clear to her that she’s not safe yet. Facing constant threats from a private investigator, questioning detectives and a serial killer who seems to be targeting her, Minx has to take matters into her own hands to lay her past to rest and finally become a star.

Stellar Performances

Kevin Bacon plays private investigator John Labat, an originally reserved man who is revealed to have a little psycho obsession within him.

Giancarlo Esposito plays agent Teddy Knight, an entertainment lawyer who isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty.

Michelle Monaghan and Bobby Cannavale play detectives Willams and Torres, offering a bit of comedic relief with their interactions as partners.

Moses Sumney plays Minx’s best friend Leon, a film fan and video store worker whose extensive knowledge reveals an interesting past. Sumney plays him with a seriousness and depth that deserves more consideration than just a side-character role.

Elizabeth Debicki plays film director Elizabeth Bender. Leaning into the stoic expressions, Debicki plays a stone-cold and impassive director who will let nothing disturb the process of making her movie.

Halsey makes an appearance as Tabby Martin, breaking out the New Jersey accent to play the excitable adult star.

Lilly Collins plays horror movie actress Molly Bennett, showing off her range by switching from scream queen to regular actress faster than it takes to say “cut.”

Most notable, of course, is Mia Goth. Playing the strong, confident young woman who demands to be seen, she captures the audience’s attention just like she captures the attention of casting directors in the movie. Despite embodying Minx’s comfort of being so self-assured not even profanities from protestors can sway her, she does get shaken. Goth is able to subtly but powerfully portray the multitude of emotions Minx experiences.

Portraying so much emotion through her eyes, Goth delivers a stellar performance.

Underlying Themes

The film delves into themes of power, using the scenes mentioning the sex work industry as a way to demonstrate men’s gross obsession with control and allowing the strong female characters to take it back.

Set in a place so glamorous yet so exclusive that the only way to get in is to sell your soul to the devil, obsession is an underlying theme so strong that even the televangelist can’t help but get caught up in it.

The film also discusses the hypocrisy of conservative public opinion of Hollywood in the 1980s, speaking about it with a clarity that only comes from looking at it retrospectively.

All set to a killer soundtrack, “MaXXXine” is a movie you won’t want to miss.

@u_mponce