The Top 10 Gen-Ed Classes

The Top 10 Gen-Ed Classes

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Gen Ed Courses.jpg

Incoming students can practically taste the freedom that comes with picking your own classes in college. However, choosing the right courses that fill your general education requirements can sometimes be a struggle.

By looking at course and professor feedback, we’ve done the hard part for you. Here are the top 10 best general education courses at the U.

1. International Requirement: Language of Color

While it might sound trivial, Kelly Keddington, an academic advisor at the U, said this class fill up fast.

“Everyone loves that class,” she said.

Language of Color can be taken online or in a face-to-face classroom setting, and it fills your international requirement. The class description promises that “cultural identity is addressed through a review of color as a function of global marketing strategies and Internet communications.”

2. Humanities Exploration: Business 1050 with Alan Sandomir

Business 1050 sounds boring and dry, but the reason it scored so highly in feedback was because of the professor. Alan Sandomir is one of the highest rated professors at the U on ratemyprofessors.com.

One student evaluation described his class as “the best the U of U has to offer in terms of teaching and helping you intellectually grow.”

This class also serves as a pre-requisite for most other business classes, if that’s what you’re planning to study.

3. Humanities Exploration: Classical Mythology

This class fills up quickly because of the subject matter. Students get to learn about Athena and Zeus, and so much more for a some humanities fun.

4. Behavioral Sciences Exploration: Human Sexuality with Andrew Montgomery

This class also ranks highly because of the professor. In course feedback, one student wrote: “I barely cracked the textbook [because] he was the best teacher I have had. He explains everything thoroughly.”

This will easily knock out a behavioral science credit for your general education requirements.

5. Fine Arts Exploration: Acting 1 for Non-Majors with Robert Smith

Acting 1 for non-majors gives students a chance to learn about theater performance without having previous experience. You can learn to get onstage and improv with no pressure.

In course feedback, 81.5 percent of students said they “learned a great deal in the course,” and 90 percent said the “teacher demonstrated a thorough knowledge of the subject.”

6. Fine Arts Exploration: History of Rock and Roll

History of Rock and Roll has a fun and intriguing name, and it has the course material to match it.

The average grade in this class is an A, ranking it in the top three courses at the U on ratemyprofessor.com.

7. Fine Arts Exploration: Survey of Jazz

Not into rock and roll? Try some jazz with this easy fine arts credit. Most students call this course an easy A, with assignments and exams that reflect the material taught by the professors.

8. Applied Sciences: Nutrition

Finding an applied science credit that is fairly easy, but still educational can be challenging, but this class does just that.

Without being too difficult to pass, students are pushed to learn. One of the assignments is to create your own nutrition bar as a group project.

9. Quantitative Reasoning + Humanities Exploration: Analysis of Argument

This is a popular course because it knocks out two general education requirements with one class, which can save students time and money.

The class has a mixture of ratings based on the professor. According to ratemyprofessor.com, Kevin Coe is the instructor of choice.

One student who posted on the site said: “Kevin was one of my favorite professors. I didn’t care or understand politics before his class, but he made the class so interesting that I learned beyond what I thought I could.”

10. International Requirement + Science Exploration: Rain Forest Ecology

This class also fills two required courses, but is still at an introductory level, so it’s not too difficult.

For science and biology majors this can also count toward your major. But note that Biology 1210 is a prerequisite for the course.

@JulianneSkrivan[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_empty_space height=”32px”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_facebook type=”standard”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_tweetmeme type=”horizontal”][/vc_column][/vc_row]