New Music Monday: Grace Potter

Though the name Grace Potter is usually followed by “and the Nocturnals,” her latest album has her going solo. “Midnight,” released Aug. 14, is Potter’s debut solo album. Potter’s work with The Nocturnals has always showcased her strong presence and vocals; her solo album serves to capture her role as a well-rounded musician. Potter is a multi-faceted talent — she not only sings but she also plays the Hammond electric organ, the Rhodes piano, the Wurlitzer electric piano and electric and acoustic guitars.

Her new album features collaborations with different artists, including a few members of The Nocturnals. The collaborations seemed to help Potter move further into her new-found independent voice. Potter’s soul shines through most vividly in the songs on the album where she explores her whole vocal range. One of the songs that explores this range best is “Look What We’ve Become.” In this song, her raw, aggressive and powerful sound rages to the forefront with some softness thrown in around the edges.

Potter is also able to display her moodier, softer side on “Midnight.” The album rounds out with a ballad that is infused with the soul that defines Potter’s slower numbers. The ballad is called “Let You Go,” focusing on love lost. In this song Potter hits the peak of her emotions and takes it back down in a way that keeps the listener’s attention.

“Let You Go” is reminiscent of her song “Stars” off of the album “The Lion The Beast The Beat” by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, which was released in 2012.

Other songs on the album that stand out during a listen-through are “Empty Heart,” “Hot to the Touch” and “Alive Tonight.” Potter allows the music to guide her voice through most of the album, which is a turnaround from her usual style. It is refreshing to hear an artist able to transition from one extreme to the other without losing her unique style or personality.

If you have not discovered Grace Potter, it is time to check her out with the release of her debut solo album. After giving “Midnight” a listen, it will surely inspire a look at her earlier work with The Nocturnals. Grace Potter may just become your new favorite artist.