Are U Mormon?

Currently, the majority of people living in Utah are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Many of the church’s policies — past and present — concerning race, women and the LGBTQ community, are controversial. While these topics can be difficult to discuss for people throughout the U.S., they especially become a sticking point in Utah. This year, The Daily Utah Chronicle is reporting on the spectrum of involvement in the church and religion in general at the University of Utah. “Are U Mormon?” explores the wide variety of spiritual identities on campus and how the state’s dominating faith — the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — affects the culture there.

The president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Russell M. Nelson, recently announced that the church prefers to be referred to by its full name and not “Mormon” or “LDS.” While The Chronicle respects this request, we will use both names throughout this project because the church is universally recognized by these names. Further, this project will look at all sects of Mormonism, not just the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

This collection of stories is part of the Poynter College Media Project.

Former University of Utah Employee Linked to Hate Group Propaganda on Campus

In recent years, the University of Utah has been the target of racist messages and propaganda from numerous hate groups. Over 240,000 of these groups' chat room messages were leaked in March by Unicorn...

An Inside Look at the Life of Author R. B. Scott

The Life of R. B. Scott Author Ronald B. Scott is a Salt Lake native. Raised in the valley as the oldest of eight, he found himself able to explore the city in different ways....

Filmmaker, Former U Professor Sterling Van Wagenen Charged with Sexual Abuse of a Child

Warning: This story includes graphic descriptions of sexual abuse. Former University of Utah professor and noted filmmaker, Sterling Van Wagenen, was charged on April 2 with one count of aggravated sexual abuse of a child,...

Common Ground: Finding Support in Secular Groups

There is a stigma surrounding The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at the University of Utah and in the surrounding areas. Your membership in the church, or lack thereof, often serves as...

Opinion Desk: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

What is the Church's Influence on You? While The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the predominant religion in the state of Utah, individual experiences with and within it are hardly monolithic. At...
Stay Up to Date!
Stay up to date with our top stories delivered straight to your inbox!
We respect your privacy. No spam. Ever.