Are U Mormon?

Currently, the majority of people living in Utah are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Many of the church’s policies — past and present — concerning race, women and the LGBTQ community, are controversial. While these topics can be difficult to discuss for people throughout the U.S., they especially become a sticking point in Utah. This year, The Daily Utah Chronicle is reporting on the spectrum of involvement in the church and religion in general at the University of Utah. “Are U Mormon?” explores the wide variety of spiritual identities on campus and how the state’s dominating faith — the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — affects the culture there.

The president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Russell M. Nelson, recently announced that the church prefers to be referred to by its full name and not “Mormon” or “LDS.” While The Chronicle respects this request, we will use both names throughout this project because the church is universally recognized by these names. Further, this project will look at all sects of Mormonism, not just the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

This collection of stories is part of the Poynter College Media Project.

The Making of a Lamanite: A Brief History Between the LDS Church and Indigenous...

The history between the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Native Americans has spanned almost two centuries. This is a two-part series to analyze this area in LDS studies which remains fast-growing...

Faith and Films at Sundance

The Sundance Film Festival isn’t the first place that you’d think that a group of Christians would gather. Sundance is more known for pride, celebrity and cutting-edge films than for explorations of faith. For...

Apostle M. Russell Ballard and U President Ruth Watkins Speak at the LDS Institute

On Sunday, Feb. 10, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints held an event at its Institute of Religion for students at the University of Utah. The chapel of the building was full,...

Alvarado: Are Atheists Less Trustworthy?

Although the First Amendment clearly states that freedom of religion is protected under the Constitution, there is confusion surrounding atheism and the rights of those who consider themselves non-religious. Atheists are estimated to comprise...

Sonnenberg: Why I Get Relationship Advice from a Celibate Man

Most people ask their friends and family for relationship advice and try to learn from couples that they admire — couples who have been there, done that and survived the hard times. I get...
Stay Up to Date!
Stay up to date with our top stories delivered straight to your inbox!
We respect your privacy. No spam. Ever.