Are U Mormon?

Currently, the majority of people living in Utah are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Many of the church’s policies — past and present — concerning race, women and the LGBTQ community, are controversial. While these topics can be difficult to discuss for people throughout the U.S., they especially become a sticking point in Utah. This year, The Daily Utah Chronicle is reporting on the spectrum of involvement in the church and religion in general at the University of Utah. “Are U Mormon?” explores the wide variety of spiritual identities on campus and how the state’s dominating faith — the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — affects the culture there.

The president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Russell M. Nelson, recently announced that the church prefers to be referred to by its full name and not “Mormon” or “LDS.” While The Chronicle respects this request, we will use both names throughout this project because the church is universally recognized by these names. Further, this project will look at all sects of Mormonism, not just the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

This collection of stories is part of the Poynter College Media Project.

The Sanctity of Nature

This project arose from two observations I had regarding my peers — the first being that almost none of them were religious, and the second being that the outdoors had a huge place in...

Religion on Campus More Diverse Than Rest of State, With Proportion of Latter-day Saints...

Statewide, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints comprise 61.55% — nearly two-thirds — of the state population, according to a December 2018 article published by The Salt Lake Tribune. Although...

Brown: BYU Nepotism and University of Utah Bias in Utah’s Top Tech Companies

It is no secret that the student cultures of the University of Utah and Brigham Young University are at odds with one another. A commonly held sentiment at BYU is the belief that the...

Former U Professor and Filmmaker Sterling Van Wagenen Pleads Guilty to Sexual Abuse of...

Warning: This story includes graphic descriptions of sexual abuse. Former University of Utah film professor Sterling Van Wagenen pleaded guilty in an initial Utah County court appearance on Tuesday to a count of the sexual...

Classical Indian Dance in Salt Lake City

The tradition of Indian dance goes back as far as the people's rich cultural history. It is deeply interwoven with Hinduism and is beautiful for its precision and comprehensive storytelling. Every minute detail from...
Stay Up to Date!
Stay up to date with our top stories delivered straight to your inbox!
We respect your privacy. No spam. Ever.