Four Ways to Stay Calm During the Semester

The beginning of the school year is a busy time. You’re going to class, working, keeping up with extracurriculars, trying to maintain a social life and still attempting to remain sane. With all of these things going on, it’s difficult not to stress. Here are four ways to help you stay calm during the rush of the semester.

1. Keep a planner

No, I’m not joking. First things first, you need to plan out your time. Too often, we as students stress over the fact that there’s not enough time in the day. Our weeks become chaos as we attempt to fit everything in, so organize your week with a planner. Figure out what needs to be done and when to do it. Actually take a look at your class syllabus after the first day of class. As soon as you sit down and plan a time for everything, you realize there is a lot more time in the day than you thought.

2. Be a kid again

Remember when life was simple and the hardest decision you had to make was who you were going to pick for your kickball team? You may still be considered a child in your parents’ eyes, but while you’re paying bills and reading textbooks, you forget what it’s like to be a kid. I’m giving you permission to remember your favorite childhood game.

Go out with your friends and play four-square or ball tag or hide-and-go-seek in the dark. Play a game where the only thing you have to worry about is not letting the ball get out of your square. It’s okay to relax a little and show your young side. You can still be a kid!

3. Watch your favorite TV show/movie

Grab a snack, shut the door and turn off the lights. It’s time for “me time.” When “Friends,” “Parks and Recreation,” “New Girl” and “Breaking Bad” are all on Netflix, you don’t have to worry about getting up to change the episode. Take an hour-long break and immerse yourself in the world of fictional characters. You don’t have to think. You don’t have to move. You just have to kick up your feet and enjoy.

Beware of the all-too-real Netflix addiction, however. Taking a half hour to an hour-long TV break is OK, but don’t close your eyes to the important things in life. Remember, time management is key.

4. Exercise

For some, exercise can be a way to unwind. For others, it can be the complete opposite. Find your own kind of special exercise to help you healthily release all the stress toxins from your body.

Go for an easy hike or simply walk up and down campus and enjoy the fresh air. Not an outdoorsy person? Find a yoga class or use your student ID for the Student Life Center. Escape the dry heat and swim a few laps in a pool. The best part about exercise is you can use it as an excuse to get away from homework, but it also makes you feel better knowing you were still doing something worthwhile.

Don’t let the stress of the school year dampen your spirits. While it’s important to worry about school, work and extracurriculars, relaxation time can be just as important.