Letter to the Editor

By Wayne Burton

I wanted to share my impression of a recent column by Kristien Hixson about the moral climate of this country. Upon reading her article, I had to write Kristien and thank her for such an insightful look at what’s happening in the world today.

In many cases, the rights of communities across the country to a moral society are being sold out to the rights of individuals with very extreme causes.

We need to stand up for what we feel is right for our cities and families. We should have the right to protect our children, even in a public setting outside of our homes. And there are people out there who will gladly take up his cause.

You may recall the backlash that the mayor got in New York a while back when he canceled a controversial (disgusting and offensive) art exhibit. Once again common moral sense (shown by the mayor) was under attack by those espousing individual rights.

I have two little daughters, and I see the forces that are out there as potential harms to them. We need to be more active in curbing the tide of social ills that are thriving because of “freedom.?

The rights of every individual person are important and should be protected, but these rights should not be supported at the expense of the right of all the rest of society to a good environment in which to raise their families.

Wayne Burton

Graduate Student, Medicine