Letter to the Editor

By Jay Wilgus

Although I am appreciative of The Daily Utah Chronicle’s steady support of the Associated Students of the University of Utah Presenter’s Office, I feel compelled to dispel three misconceptions in the opinion column Feb. 6 titled “Presenter’s Office Gluts Student Resources.”

First, the ASUU Assembly and Senate did not vote to “increase and then freeze” funding for the Presenter’s Office at 39 percent of the total budget of ASUU, as the article suggested. The ASUU Assembly and Senate voted to stabilize funding at 39 percent, thereby eliminating a five-year plan to decrease funding.

As a result, the Presenter’s Office will now be able to plan years in advance educationally, financially and programmatically.

Second, The Chronicle Editorial Board said that although “the Presenter’s Office does provide some valuable experiences and opportunities to U students, it does not warrant the type of funding it will now enjoy.”

Without such funding those very experiences and opportunities would be lost. Decreased funding had serious ramifications for the non-profit Presenter’s Office.

Less money means fewer events, fewer events means less opportunity, and less opportunity means fewer experiences for all students.

U students should thank their Assembly and Senate leaders.

Finally, while I disagree that the Presenter’s Office is “providing services that the administration of this university should be handling,” I do believe that we are providing services that the administration should be financially supporting.

I would like the programming to be done by students with the administration’s recognition that the university as a whole reaps many benefits from that programming. The office could provide the same opportunities, and hopefully more, with a smaller subsidy from ASUU, as you suggest would be appropriate.

Until that point, however, it is necessary to build the Presenter’s Office on the resources available.

Thanks for your forum and your continued support of our efforts.

Jay Wilgus

Director, ASUU Presenter?s Office