Events

March 7

Spencer Davis from Weber State University will speak on ?An Economy of Voluntary Simplicity? from 10:45 to 11:35 a.m. in Orson Spencer Hall, Room 255.

Terra Firma and the Student Greens will host a ?Critical Mass Bike Ride? to support alternative transportation at noon outside the A. Ray Olpin University Union.

Stuart Culver, associate professor of English, will give a lecture titled ?Henry James?s Slashed Portrait? at noon in Carlson Hall, Room 115.

There will be a Women?s Week community panel discussion on ?Activism in Utah: Continuity and Change? at noon in the J. Willard Marriott Library Gould Auditorium.

The American Marketing Association will present Steve Boulay of SFX Entertainment at 12:30 p.m. in the C. Roland Christensen Center, Room 205.

The Middle Eastern Studies Student Advisory Committee will hold an organizational meeting from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. in the Languages and Communication Building, Room 2110.

?A Strong Candidate Prostate Cancer Susceptibility Gene at Chromosome 17p,? a lecture by Sean Tavtigian from Myriad Genetics, will be held at 4 p.m. in the Huntsman Cancer Institute auditorium.

As part of Women?s Week, there will be a reception for ?Activists,? a photography exhibit by Tracy Longley-Cook of Utah women activists, in the union Gallery from 4 to 6 p.m. The exhibit will run through March 23.

March 8

Douglas H. Smith, president of Andalex Resources Inc., will speak on ?Central Utah Operations and Status of the State?s Coal Industry? from 10:45 to 11:35 a.m. in the Engineering and Mines Classroom Building, Room 101.

Angela Davis from the University of California at Santa Cruz will present a Women?s Week keynote address on ?Feminist Activism: Radical Frameworks for the 21st Century? at noon in the union Ballroom. A book-signing will follow.

Steve Carle will speak on ?3-D Simulation of Non-Isothermal Flow and Reactive Transport of Radionuclides Resulting from Underground Nuclear Tests? at 4 p.m. in the Intermountain Network Scientific Computing Center, Room 110.

?From Anderson Localization to Quantum Chaos,? a physics lecture by Boris Altshuler from Princeton University, will be held at 4 p.m. in the James Fletcher Building, Room 102.

Malise Ruthven from Colorado College will lecture on ?Islam and Mormonism: Parallels and Contrasts? at 4:30 p.m. in 255 OSH.

Eric Gunnerson from Microsoft will speak on ?Introduction to C#? from 5 to 7 p.m. in 102 EMCB.

Marilyn Hoffman will give a medical-school application workshop from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the James Talmage Building, Room 130.

March 9

The Heterodox Economics Student Association (HESA) will host a panel discussion on ?The New Behavioral Economics?New Insights, New Paradigm, or Not New at All?? at 1:30 p.m. in the Business Classroom Building, Room 306.

The Utah Transit Authority will hold an open-house/public hearing on changes to the Airport University of Utah TRAX line at 8 p.m. in the union Panorama East Room.

March 10

A Coffeehouse Series open-mic poetry slam will be held at 8 p.m. in the union Panorama Room.