Letter to the Editor

Reading the front page articles in Monday?s and Tuesday?s papers about the neighbors? complaints about the greeks, I became quite concerned. Looking at this issue only frustrates me. Back in the summer of 1995, my family and I became homeless while living in Salt Lake City because of neighbors making petty complaints.

I will testify that the cause of this was not my family?s fault due to the Americans with Disabilities Act, but that is beside the point of this letter.

I am not a member of a fraternity, although I would love to be when I can afford the cost, but I do associate with the members and fear for them. When my family became homeless, we found out the hard way about laws with a conflict of interest in this state. Laws such as the ?nuisance law” can and do easily evict people from their places of residence for no cause at all.

This is where my fear is generated.

I have heard of several situations where the city or state has thrown “nuisances” from their homes and seized the property; in fact, I have a neighbor who has fought this issue because of another neighbor making several petty complaints.

I don’t desire to see the greeks thrown out of their homes. To want such a thing would be stupidly insane. The greeks are a way of life for many on campus. The greeks have also done numerous things to help both the local community and the community in whole.

To have the University of Utah without a Greek Row would be like not having the Latter-day Saints Institute of Religion for the large number of LDS students.

Keep in mind that the greeks were living on Greek Row before any individual neighbor.

Therefore, the greeks were a part of the neighborhood before the neighbors were. It is each individual?s responsibility to find out what it is he or she is moving into before actually moving in. By moving into the neighborhood, the neighbors gave their consent to move into the area as is.

It is that plain and simply understood. All you have to do is look into contractual law and research implied consent.

Earlier this week I wrote a letter supporting the greeks and turned it into the Intrafraternity Council office in the A. Ray Olpin University Union, Room 270. I highly encourage and recommend that the students of the U?greek and not greek?do the same.

Everybody knows that there is power in numbers. The university needs a Greek Row so a feeling of community can be maintained.

Connor Hendricks,

Freshman, Business Management