Letter to the Editor

By Hyrum Anderson

This letter is in response to Jeffrey Jones? “Reactions to a Slap in America’s Face” in the Sept. 19 Chronicle.

What do you mean, “Why are we so quick to kill and destroy rather than build and supply?” Who sent billions of dollars in relief to Guatemala after the flooding? Who sends food aid to famine-stricken nations around the world? Who pumps millions into the economies of developing nations and forgives the debt?

The answer to the above is the Red Cross, international aid agencies and the world bank, but the lion’s share of their support comes from the United States.

Who has yet to take military action against those we believe responsible for Tuesday’s attack, more than a week later? Who’s been spending more time holding memorial services and candle-light vigils for the fallen than they have in military planning sessions?

I’m going to be the first to admit that the United States is not, in any way, perfect. We’ve got our share of blood on our hands too, but any look at American history will tell you that we, as a nation, are very reluctant to fight wars.

I already pray for the young men who may return from Afghanistan in body bags or die in the bloody retribution that may come after. A war on terrorism is not one that will have a clear beginning or end, but it is one that must be fought.

If we do nothing, it will be an open invitation for more attacks. If we attack, it will be an invitation for revenge attacks. The only peaceful solution I see is if Afghanistan’s Islamic government, Islam as a whole, and all people worldwide will renounce bin Laden and his methods. From what I’ve seen and heard here, it looks like we may have that support, but I believe that it will all come down to a few men far, far away, to decide the fate of the world.

Hyrum Anderson

Senior, Materials Science and Engineering