Campus Events

October 1

Students for Choice is hosting a kick-off meeting at 6 p.m. in Union Room 319.

October 2

The Women?s Resource Center is hosting a session of Seeds of Violence 2001, Allies in Healing: Breaking Down Barriers, Building Our Lives. The session is titled ?Violence Against Women: A Cross Cultural Perspective? at noon in Union 293.

The physics department is hosting a colloquium titled ?Using Supercomputers to Collapse Gravitational Waves, Collide Black Holes (and Study Other Cataclysms)? at 4 p.m. in Room 102 of the Fletcher Building. Refreshments will be served at 3:30 p.m.

The Union Free Film Series is hosting a free screening of ?The Blues Brothers? at 8 p.m. in the Union Theater.

October 3

The Middle East Center is hosting Thomas Friedman, foreign affairs columnist for The New York Times. She will be speaking on ?The Challenges of Globalization? from 3:30 to 5 p.m. in Kingsbury Hall.

October 5

KUED is hosting a free screening of the Great Performances PBS special ?Holo Mai Pele,? a Hawaiian dance performance. A discussion with Holo Mai Pele participants and a Polynesian choral performances will follow. The event starts at 6:30 p.m. in the Union Theater. Please RSVP to 585-3523. Refreshments will be served.

October 8

The U Women?s Club is hosting a general meeting for current and prospective members at 1 p.m. at Red Butte Garden.

October 11

The department of mining engineering is hosting a lecture titled ?New Developments in Caterpillar Excavating Equipment? at 11:50 a.m. in the William Browning Building, Room 707.

October 12

The ASUU Presenter?s Office is hosting an open-mic session and a night of hip hop poetry featuring DJs from QUUS Sound Research, lyricists Reece Peck and Sal Goodman and open-mic poetry at 8 p.m. in Panorama West.

October 13

The Utah Museum of Natural History is hosting its yearly ?What?s in the Basement? day. Come explore every nook and cranny of the museum with curators and staff to answer questions between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. at the museum.

October 17

The Graduate School of Architecture is hosting a speech on ?Analog-Digital Improvisation? at 5:30 p.m. in the Utah Museum of Fine Arts Auditorium.

October 18

The Utah Museum of Natural History presents a lecture titled ?Dinosaurs: New Views on Ancient Bones? at 7 p.m. in Kingsbury Hall. Call 581-6927 for free tickets.

November 8

The Wallacer Stegner Center of the College of Law is hosting a reading by Thomas Power from ?Post-Cowboy Economics: Pay and Prosperity in the New American West? at 7 p.m. in the Marriott Library Gould Auditorium.

January 15

The College of Law?s Wallace Stegner Center is hosting a reading by John Campbell from his ?Absence of Light: Meditations from the Klamath Marshes Dead West? at 7 p.m. in the Gould Auditorium.