Olympic Open House Fields Questions

An open house answered questions about the Olympics Tuesday evening at Rice-Eccles Stadium.

The Salt Lake Organizing Committee, Salt Lake City Corporation and the University of Utah sponsored the event.

A special session for U community members was held between 4:30 p.m. and 6 p.m.

?The U felt it needed to take a leadership role to provide information to the community as a whole and specifically to the campus community,? said Gwen Springmeyer, associate director of the U?s 2002 Olympic Coordination Office, in an earlier interview.

The Olympic Village and student-housing booths specifically targeted the U community members.

During the 12 weeks that SLOC will use the residential halls for the Olympic and Paralympic Villages, students will move to Austin, Ballif and Van Cott Halls.

?Many people don?t realize we?ve hired a moving company to help students move during the Olympics,? said Ladon Roeder, assistant director of residential living.

Many of the transportation information booths had maps of the streets around the U that will be closed during the Olympics. More highly detailed maps of closures during the Opening and Closing Ceremonies and a rehearsal day were available.

?We?ve had a lot of questions about what streets will be restricted and many concerns about personal travel during the Olympics,? said Dave Huber, director of bus operations for Utah Transit Authority.

For more information, visit www.utahcommuterlink.com.

Other transportation booths provided information about TRAX and bus routes during the Olympics.

?We?ve had a lot of questions about the date of the U TRAX line opening,? said Julie Bond, rideshare and marketing specialist at UTA.

Light rail will open its U line in December. Some bus routes will be rerouted, however, the service will operate as normal and will not be reduced.

For more information, visit www.rideuta.com.

One table provided information about the Olympic spectator transportation system.

Spectators can use the 17 shuttle park and ride lots, which will provide about 21,000 parking spaces and shuttling service.

For additional information, contact Randy Park at 212-2693 or [email protected].

Although SLOC has more than enough volunteers, Salt Lake City is looking for ?host city volunteers.? These volunteer opportunities include venue monitors, ushers, mild pick-up and servicing duties.

?Volunteers don?t need to make long-term commitments, they can volunteer for a few hours a week if they want,? said Eric Leber of the Salt Lake City Olympic Planning Office.

People interested in volunteering can fill out an application at the City County Building, Room 336.

Ticket availability was also a common question Tuesday, said John Moreland, SLOC Ticket Representative.

?There are about 300,000 tickets left, but five events, including snowboarding and the giant slalom, are sold out,? Moreland said. ?The best place to get tickets is on the Internet.?

Remaining Olympic tickets go on sale to the public Monday, Oct. 8. To purchase tickets, visit www.saltlake2002.com or call 1 800-TICKETS.

The Utah Animal Rights Coalition was at the event protesting the Olympic Rodeo. The coalition?s Anti-Olympic Rodeo Cow held a protest sign.

?I think it will be the shame of the Olympics,? said protester Autumn Wagner.