Contenders in Sandy City Mayor Race Debate

By Ali Hasnain

Of the approximately 27,000 students enrolled at the University of Utah, only about 2,350 are from the suburb of Sandy, according to Chris Pezely of Student Affairs.

The lack of interest on campus created by a debate between Rep. Trisha Beck, D Sandy, and incumbent Republican Tom Dolan for ?The Race for Sandy City Mayor? in unsurprising: about 20 people attended. The Hinckley Institute of Politics hosted the event and broadcast it on the radio.

The debate, however, encompassed issues ranging from local concerns to potential safety and terrorism during the Olympics.

Both candidates used the opportunity to outline the platforms of their campaign.

?I?m running on my record,? Dolan said, referring to his eight years in office as mayor.

According to Dolan, a recent Dan Jones survey of residents showed 98 percent liked living in Sandy, and 99 percent felt safe.

Adding to his reputation, Dolan pointed out the 12 percent decrease of property taxes over the past five years.

Beck focused on representation of the people.

?People have felt left out of city hall,? she said. ?We need to be able to have an open exchange with [residents].?

In accordance with her five year door-to-door work as a state representative, Beck believes people have legitimate concerns. Many believe political turf is represented before safety concerns.

She also voiced her concern about tax burdens shifting and the issue of double taxation. For example, many people are forced to pay for water services which they don?t receive, she said.

Hinckley Institute Director Ted Wilson, acting as the moderator, asked both candidates about a possible terrorist threat and the potential for shutting down the Olympics.

?We are going to face some sort of recession,? Dolan said. He pointed to his 11 percent fund balance, which was described as ?a city?s rainy day funds.?

Dolan?s plan has not convinced Beck.

?Bankruptcy is up in Utah,? she said, pointing to a headline in The Salt Lake Tribune.

Beck argued?with the overspending necessary for starting new projects?that it would be difficult to compensate for a potential decrease in Olympic revenue.

Dolan explained the many projects in Sandy are for the sake of its residents? convenience.

?We are trying to create a satellite city,? he said, one that creates job and shopping opportunities for the estimated 93,000 Sandy residents.

?The community has blossomed,? Dolan said. ?I love to do what I?m doing.?

Based on numerous credentials accumulated over the years, he ended his debate with, ?The greatest thing about Sandy is its people.?

The interests of those people is Beck?s motivation in running for mayor. She reiterated her wishes to participate in a government ?of the people, by the people and inevitably for the people.?