OB/GYN Adashi Receives National Fellowship

Dr. Eli Adashi, professor and chairman of the department of obstetrics and gynecology, has been elected as a fellow to the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the organization that publishes the scientific journal Science.

Adashi received the fellowship because of his ?career [of] significant accomplishments,? according to Dr. Lorris Betz, senior vice president for health sciences.

?He?s a leader in women?s health, particularly research involving cancer of the reproductive system,? Betz said.

The AAAS elected Adashi through nominations from three of its current members. The fellowship is a recognition for his ?scientifically or socially distinguished? contribution to the advancement of science and its application.

Adashi, who was traveling and unavailable for comments, has been a faculty member since December 1996. Among his most prestigious accomplishments are membership in the Institute of Medicine and President’s Distinguished Achievement Award from the Society of Gynecologic Investigation.

Adashi is a member of several scientific journal editorial boards and societies. He has more than 200 peer reviewed publications and is an investigator at the Huntsman Cancer Institute.