There Is Great Enjoyment in Athletes’ Folly

Team loyalty has become a rarity in this day and age of sports, as we see more and more players leaving their original teams. Money and free agency have caused many of these problems, but sometimes it can be very comedic.

Seeing an athlete leave a town because of money makes me ecstatic. The athlete feels it is a slap in his face when the team does not pay him at market value. Why does this make me happy? Because the teams usually become better without the departed athletes. The cancer they instill inside the locker room is cleared, and the team finally progresses.

Now, I understand that some players get completely stiffed and leave for very good reasons and are happy wherever they end up.

However, most of the time, the players leave solely because they want the money. Their team’s locale and the players around them do not lend a care to their minds. I know you’re thinking, “It’s their choice, they can do whatever they want to.” I agree, but what happens when the team does better and they want to come back?

For example, Mo Vaughn left the Boston Red Sox to head to Disneyland and sign with the Anaheim Angels. Before he left, he said he loved the fans and loved Boston, but he needed more money. HOLD IT. Why was he even thinking of leaving? You are in a town you love and the fans love you, and the result is you leaving town? Oh well?I guess money reigns supreme.

Or does it?

What was the result of his stint in Anaheim, you ask? Two subpar years, in which Vaughn hit below .300 and did not even participate in this season since he was incapacitated due to a biceps injury. With three years left on his contract, Vaughn is not very happy in Anaheim anymore.

On a Boston radio show, Vaughn was quoted as saying, “I am employed by Anaheim, but let’s just be straight?if I had a chance to go back to Boston, I would.”

Are you kidding me? What type of player makes this type of statement, while he has an entire group of players who rely on him to win the team some games?

A cancer.

Because of his own mistake, he is tearing apart his team and will never be back in Boston unless he takes a severe pay-cut.

It makes me happy seeing a player like this wanting the best of both worlds. Maybe you should have considered that before you left Mo.

So why am I saying this? Am I trying to just bash players who leave for more money? Shouldn’t players be able to leave teams and have the opportunity to make more money? Of course they should.

I am bashing players who leave for the sole reason of more money. Such players are leaving because their ego has not been satisfied, and need to see their name on one of the largest contracts the world has ever seen.

They will disregard the team, the community it is in and how much they actually love playing for the team. And look at what happens to them?look at Mo.

He looks like a complete fool, but don’t think it is an isolated incident.

Ken Griffey Jr., Randy Johnson and Alex Rodriguez all left the Seattle Mariners because they would not be paid enough. With the exception of Johnson, these players are now playing for teams that seem to be in a hole and do not have the ability to dig themselves out. On the other hand, the Mariners tied the record for the most wins in a regular season, and have advanced to the ALCS.

HA! Don’t think that I am the only one laughing. I know all of you love to see players completely mess up their careers because of their egos, because teams don’t give them enough “respect.”

Seeing a player stick a knife in a team’s back, only to slit his or her own throat with it later brings some joy to my life.

Don’t think it will stop because of Mo’s blunder. The egos of athletes are continuing to grow, and team loyalty is no longer existent. Many athletes will leave their respective teams in order to be paid “market value.”

I honestly couldn’t be happier that these players are leaving. Move over Simpsons?the asses we called athletes have stepped into center stage.

Asad welcomes feedback at: [email protected].