Dorms Get Ready to Move Students Out

By Ali Hasnain

Some people are anticipating the 2002 Olympics with excitement.

After all, they’re only a few months away. However, for students living at the University of Utah, feelings are much more complex.

By Dec. 15, the Heritage Commons will close after final exams to prepare for use as the Olympic Village.

On the same day, the Office of Residential Living will begin relocating student residents to the buildings used as dorms several years ago, including Austin and Van Cott halls.

According to LaDon Roeder, assistant director of residential living, reactions have been positive for the most part.

“Right now, we haven’t heard too much negative feedback,” he said. “But we’re still a ways away.”

It’s hard to anticipate each individual reaction, Roeder said.

Adam Lynn was one U student not particularly excited about the move.

“It seems like most students were excited before,” he said. “Now everyone seems a little more frustrated.”

According to Roeder, there will always be situations where students feel especially inconvenienced because of their academic load or the hassle of moving their belongings. However, ORL will pay special attention if students feel particularly inconvenienced, he said.

“Whatever we can do to ease that person’s situation, we’ll do it,” Roeder said.

The relocation of students?already figured into the $140 million Olympic Village housing project?has been in the works for awhile, according to Roeder.

Last year, when students applied or reapplied for housing, they received information on the relocation process.

“We’re providing 11 boxes and packing material per student,” he said.

ORL will add another box if there is a computer monitor to be moved.

First semester housing contracts will remain normal. After that, students who want to contract for second semester have a few choices.

The majority of students, who wanted a full academic year contract, will end up living in the older halls, Roeder said.

By mid-November, students will receive room keys so they can move some personal belongings to the older halls.

Bailey’s Moving and Storage company will relocate students’ belongings between the 15th and 21st of December.

For the winter break, students can choose where to go.

“I’m going home,” said freshman Phil Herbert.

For those students who have no where to go during winter break, arrangements at guest housing will be provided for minimal charge, Roeder said.

The older halls will open for the first time on Dec. 29, and students’ belonging will be there for them, he said.

Students will spend the first part of next semester in the older halls.

“They will be down there from Jan. 3 till about Feb. 2?about four academic weeks,” Roeder said.

During the Games, students can leave, or can stay in the older halls for no charge.

Another option available is to live off campus during the first part of second semester, and then move back after the Games are over.

Around March 9, students will begin moving back to the Heritage Commons area.

As before, ORL will provide the materials and relocation for students.

Those who find it inconvenient to move back have the option of staying in the older halls for the entire semester, according to Roeder.

To ensure nothing disappears, a coded tracking system will account for all boxes and belongings.

“We know that this is an inconvenience for students, no matter what,” Roeder said. “But it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. We’ll make this as smooth a transition as possible.”