Future Utes Go to World Gymn Championships

Future University of Utah gymnasts Gritt Hofmann and Crystal Gilmore will be representing their respective countries at the Artistic Gymnastics World Championships in Ghent, Belgium, Sunday.

Hofmann, a German National Team member since 1994, is expected to arrive in Salt Lake City in December for the upcoming season. Hofmann is competing in her fourth World Championships for Germany. She placed first in the floor exercise at the 2000 German Championships.

The other Ute recruit, 2000 Canadian Olympic Team member Crystal Gilmore, committed last spring, but has not set a date. Gilmore finished fifth at the 2000 Canadian Championships and seventh in the all-around at the 2000 Canadian Olympic trials.

“We knew what type of athletes they were when we recruited and signed them,” said Utah gymnastics coach Greg Marsden. “It’s fun to follow them and be a part of what they’re doing.”

Gilmore, 17, will stay on the Canadian team until she feels she has fulfilled her commitment.

“With Crystal it’s a year-by year decision. She may decide to come next fall, or there’s even a chance of her not coming until 2004,” said Marsden.

No matter when both arrive, the Utah gymanstics team will have world-class athletes to carry future teams.