Kofoed Drafted by Pro Soccer Team

More than 120 players applied for the draft of the eight-team Women’s United Soccer League, but only 32 were selected.

Utah’s Amy Kofoed was one of the lucky ones.

Kofoed became the second player from the Utes to join the WUSA when she was selected with the first pick of the fourth round (25th overall) by the San Diego Spirit.

“I am so excited. This is the opportunity of a lifetime and it’s nice to be recognized,” Kofoed said. “People have heard my name, but now they will be able to put a face to the name.”

In her four years at the U, Kofoed’s was a face that opponents tried to forget. She scored 43 goals and added 102 total points in her Utah career, breaking the school records of 38 and 97 set by Staci Burt, who played at the U from 1996 to ’99. Her 16 career assists are second all-time to Burt’s 21.

Kofoed also set the U and Mountain West Conference records for goals (4) and points (9) in a game, a feat she accomplished in the team’s game against Wyoming last Oct. 25.

Kofoed was named First Team All-MWC her final three years, and was also a two-time member of SoccerBuzz magazine’s All West Second Team.

She joins Burt, who plays for the Carolina Courage, as the only former Utah players in the WUSA. She anticipates that the level of play she and her former U teammate bring will enable more U athletes to join the league down the line.

“This is a big honor. I hope this can open the door for Utah soccer players,” Kofoed said. “Utah has not been known for its soccer, but I hope that this will help grab people’s attention to give other players in Utah the opportunity to move on.”