U Student Found Dead in Campus Apartment

By Craig Froehlich

U student Brett Peterson, 36, was found dead in his campus apartment the afternoon of June 13.

The cause of Peterson’s death is unknown pending the results of an investigation by the state medical examiner.

A detective with the U Police Department reported that no evidence of a crime was found. The incident is classified as an unattended death, meaning the deceased had not been under the care of a physician in the last 30 days.

Peterson recently moved into the

Medical Plaza, a pair of apartment towers north of the Benchmark dorms.

Peterson was enrolled as a full-time student for the Summer semester. According to his obituary, expanding his education at the U was the fulfillment of a dream.

Peterson had previously worked in management positions with supermarket chains Reams and Albertson’s.

Dean of Students Stayner Landward met with Peterson’s parents, brother and sister soon after being notified of the death. He extended the University’s “deepest sympathy for this tragic event.”

Flowers were sent to the family from U President Bernie Machen and his wife, Chris.

His mother, Vicki Peterson, remembers “Brett’s smile” as the first thing people noticed about him.

“He was everyone’s friend,” she said.

Vicki Peterson recounted many instances when her son came to the aid of others, such as a time he held a distraught stranger until she stopped crying.

“He was everyone’s friend and a great protector,” she said.

She also remembered him as a loving father to his four children from a previous marriage.

In Peterson’s spare time he was an avid outdoorsman.

“He loved hunting and fishing,” Vicki Peterson said.

Services are scheduled for June 19. Peterson will be buried at Valley View Memorial Park.