Letter to the Editor: Chronicle Gun Coverage Biased

By Jason Clark

I have to take issue with “Don’t Let Guard Down on Guns,” an editorial in The Chronicle’s Openings issue.

A debate, by definition, is to discuss a question or issue considering opposed arguments. I have been a consistent reader of this newspaper ever since the guns on campus issue has been brought up. I have not seen one article that has featured a student or faculty member who is pro-gun. Not one.

I also take issue with The Chronicle’s argument that allowing guns would harm the U’s climate of academic freedom. What hypocrisy! Does The Chronicle believe that by tearing down basic freedom we achieve academic freedom? Should we give up a vital principle of freedom for a lesser one? I am sure our Founding Fathers would be proud.

Additionally, the editorial said, “claims that gun-toting criminals present a serious threat to students are nothing more than fear-mongering. Only a tiny handful of gun-related incidents have occurred on campus in the last 10 years, and there is no reason to believe more will happen in the future.” I did not know The Chronicle’s editorial board had psychic powers.

The editorial board implies that the campus is safe now and will be forever more. Take a poll of 100 students and ask them which would impede academic freedom more?gun-toting criminals or law-abiding students with concealed weapon permits.

I find it sad that on this campus freedom is given up in the name of “safety.” Instead of the principle of self-reliance, we are taught to rely on campus police and the U’s president for our safety. Instead of the principles of freedom and law, we watch these so-called academics tear down these precious freedoms that were fought for with the blood of many Americans.

I know the U has many allies in the war against guns. But if I stand on the side of freedom and what is right, I am in the majority, even if I stand alone. But thank God I am not alone.

Jason Clark

Junior,

German, Political Science